AA Jumpseat inequality probably coming to an end

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

altimaklr

For several years AA pilots have been jumpseating on other airlines, including internationally while they fail to reciprocate the same to other airlines. About a year ago APA claimed they would work on reforming their jumpseat agreements but so far they haven't done anything. While you can't blame the union for being distracted during contract negotiations, it is going to be very tough for certain AA pilots, especially commuting from NYC on certain DL connection carriers to get home or commute to Canada soon. A unified effort is being made by several ALPA MEC's to simultaneously change jumpseat agreements to mirror their AA agreements (only 1 jumpseater, no international). Hopefully this will be a wake-up call for APA.

It is my hope that we here at DAL do not do that. We once did not have a JS and relied upon the goodness of everyone to get our guys to work.

Go ahead, start a jumpseat war. Yeah, that'll solve the problem. I can see it now: "Uhh, Captain, you won't be getting on my jumpseat tonight because your airline has unfairly denied me access to your jumpseat last week due to your (APA's) ineffectiveness in immediately negotiating a full reciprocal agreement."

Fast forward to next week: next thing you know, AA pilots are now denying that pilot's carrier jumpseat access... which causes a huge chain reaction throughout the industry, causing several pilots from several airlines to miss their trips... all because someone is trying to prove a point.

APA has tried like heLL to get full reciprocity. There is only so much we can do. The company refuses to budge on a lot of issues right now in the midst of the most important contract negotiations ever, and full j/s reciprocity is not their top priority, not by a long shot. So we're sorry if we can't get this process moving along right away, we want it just as much as everyone else. My take is that it will get fixed after the more important stuff is agreed to.

But a jumpseat war is NOT the way to go. Believe me, the ramifications of that will spread far and wide throughout the industry. You will only end up hurting your own airline's agreement - and therefore, your commute will also get jeopardized.

Last edited:
I've only run into the "multiple jumpseater" thing twice while trying to hitch a ride on AA and both times the captain waved me and the other pilot(s) on. I've gotta say, as an XJ guy I've never had anything but good experiences with AA.

Bad Move...

For several years AA pilots have been jumpseating on other airlines, including internationally while they fail to reciprocate the same to other airlines. About a year ago APA claimed they would work on reforming their jumpseat agreements but so far they haven't done anything. While you can't blame the union for being distracted during contract negotiations, it is going to be very tough for certain AA pilots, especially commuting from NYC on certain DL connection carriers to get home or commute to Canada soon. A unified effort is being made by several ALPA MEC's to simultaneously change jumpseat agreements to mirror their AA agreements (only 1 jumpseater, no international). Hopefully this will be a wake-up call for APA.

First of all, the AA jumpseat committee has been working very hard on this issue, with a renewed effort over the last 1.5 - 2 years. IMHO

If you are an AA pilot, maybe you should let your union and Jumpseat Committee speak for you. This unauthorized flame bait will only cause more harm than good.

Guppy WN:

I hope you are being opaquely sarcastic also.

If you are a left seater at WN, DO NOT act unilaterally for God's sake.
There is nothing to be gained by going after APA and AA when you most likely have never been denied a JS by AA or any carrier (unless of course you deserved it).

AA and APA are engaged in negotiations that could generously be called ... combat.

APA does not control the jumpseat, AA does and it is the same at SWA. As much as lore insinuates about the jumpseat being the captain's, the practical realities are that it is largely the company's. In simple terms, I can resort to emergency authority to deny access but not to grant it. If corporate policy tomorrow changed and WN would only allow one J/S per flight, guess what ... we would have a max of one J/S per flight unless we were in a fall of Saigon scenario.

I tried like hell to get the Spirit pilots on the jumpseat during their strike and was told by the CP on call that as much as he would have liked to tell me to do it and he would cover for me, he couldn't condone my plan because Spirit's management shut down CASS that morning.

Often times, there is much more to the story than can be explained or remedied by a Jumpseat War!

Scott Lebert
CA - BWI

You guys obviously haven't read my posts. I am a smart-ass by nature.

I have a jumpseat chairman to fight those other battles for me.

Gup

Latest resources

Back