• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA JFK crosswind emergency...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Grow a pair? Funny, sorry, but I have over 18,000 safe flight hours AA73, what it takes is a brain, and at least a basic understanding of the big picture.

If they would have properly declared an emergency, ATC would then request "what is the nature of your emergency?"

What is even more pathetic about this is the FAA has essentially mandated that we, as a PIC, must declare an emergency to use the safest, most appropriate runway for a particular operation. Have I got that right?

What is even more pathetic about this is the FAA has essentially mandated that we, as a PIC, must declare an emergency to use the safest, most appropriate runway for a particular operation. Have I got that right?

Pathetic that you would even ask such a stupid question. Are you for real?

The FAA would have eviscerated the crew if they had attempted a crosswind landing, beyond their company limitations, and had struck a pylon/tip when a perfectly good piece of concrete pointing into the wind was right there.

I guarantee in the post-incident investigation, the local controllers would have said "31R would have been available had you just asked for it".

The FAA would have eviscerated the crew if they had attempted a crosswind landing, beyond their company limitations, and had struck a pylon/tip when a perfectly good piece of concrete pointing into the wind was right there.

I guarantee in the post-incident investigation, the local controllers would have said "31R would have been available had you just asked for it".

That wouldn't appear to be the case here. I think it's pretty clear ATC indicated an emergency needed to be declared.

And before Jaun gets his panties in a wad, are you reading something different. JFK should have been using 31 for landing ops. Shouldn't take an emergency to get the runway you want! geez.

BUT, we don't even know what the emergency was, or if there even WAS an emergency.

Think about it. ATC said if you want 31 you need to declare. OK, so they declared....

Allright, whats the nature....Uhhh...well, we don't have an emergency...but you told us we had to declare to use the runway of our choice...

OK, so if THAT is really what is going on, then the comments by the flight crew and their actions of 'we're bringing her in folks, get out of the way, sure seems a bit odd, wouldn't you agree?

Why wouldn't you simply follow ATC instructions, take the hand-off and get in line for that runway, right?

What are we missing here? Can't believe we haven't had an AA'er chime in with some more scoop.

Last edited:
"If you want 31 you are going to have to declare an emergency."

"Ok we are declaring an emergency."

Pretty obvious what the nature of the emergency was.

Some of you need to grow a pair and stop letting ATC run your cockpit.

There ya go an AA'er...
I cant believe some of the crap pilots are saying about another pilot USING his AUTHORITY to DECLARE an Emergency.

READ THE FRIGIN FAR.

If anybody is PUSHING YOUR "TIN" YOU LET THEM

At least in the "good old days" pilots HAD a set of BALLS ..

More than a few clowns here remind me of the SwissAir MD11 Captain delaying his emergency descent and landing while asking Moncton ATC if it was OK to dump fuel. He probably reconsidered his delay after the plastic ceiling panels started dripping on his forehead.

JFK Tower knew damn well what the problem was, which is exactly why he didn't ask and properly prioritized his tasks to handle the other traffic.

He also acted like a little "beetch" with his attitude while directing the guy to ground control. He knew he been had and there was nothing he could do about it.

Face it fellas' . ATC is a great bunch, but in the last 10 years, there has been more smart ass prick attitudes slowly creeping into daily ops. It's still miniscule in the big picture, but starting to show up.

THEY DID ask for it, after the controller told them "to get 31R you will have to declare an emergency."

THEY DID ask for it, after the controller told them "to get 31R you will have to declare an emergency."

...yes, I know - I'm supporting your colleagues' decision.

My point was if they hadn't asked, and had an incident while attempting to land beyond their crosswind limitations, I'm sure the local controllers would claim in the investigation that it would have been available if only they had asked for it.

Have more details been released yet? More tape? I hadn't heard tape where the controller said they had to declare an emergency to get 31... You'd think by now that more tape and details would be out

Latest resources

Back