• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA JFK crosswind emergency...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I find it interesting we've only herad a few seconds of soundbites after they broke off the rwy 22 approach. WHY can we not get the REST of the story....c'mon, what's the deal!

If your dumb enough to fly off on your own in NY airspace with over 200 people in the back of your plane then I seriously have to ask if you can actual pass the FAA flight physical ??

This really makes us look bad- when a pilot can't look out the window and see and avoid anymore with the help of tcas ra and moving map- Go rent a cessna and relearn a scan

This really makes us look bad- when a pilot can't look out the window and see and avoid anymore with the help of tcas ra and moving map- Go rent a cessna and relearn a scan

Yea. I was thinking the same thing. Probably some puppy-mill grad to a RJ that was never taught to look out the front window and would go catatonic if the moving map went blank.

Yea. I was thinking the same thing. Probably some puppy-mill grad to a RJ that was never taught to look out the front window and would go catatonic if the moving map went blank.

The reality is that the runway heading given by the tower would have sent them right into the middle of the departing traffic on 31R. Don't believe AA was advised of any traffic during his visual to 31R, probably because there was none.

Listening to the file, if it is a non-modified version, upon hearing the wind report provided by the tower, they say they are "breaking off the approach" (this is prior to the emergency declaration) and then state that "if you don't give us 31 Right we are gonna declare an emergency"

I think everyone in that exchange and post-incident who listened agree that the causal factor for the purported emergency is the surface wind.

Tower (in charge of keeping separation and preventing metal on metal) instructs them to fly runway heading (how dare they do their job). Instead of "OK Tower, any help you can give is is appreciated", AA responds "get everyone out of our way" etc etc

Professional? You be the judge. I know what my opinion is.

This brings back memories to an on-the-air argument by one AA crew on DFW approach against another crew, and approach control, as to "why" AA Flight XXX is sequenced behind the other one

nice nice

If your dumb enough to fly off on your own in NY airspace with over 200 people in the back of your plane then I seriously have to ask if you can actual pass the FAA flight physical ??

Grab an FAR/AIM and refresh yourself on the status of an aircraft after it has declared an emergency. I believe it conflicts with your definition of "on your own".

Grab an FAR/AIM and refresh yourself on the status of an aircraft after it has declared an emergency. I believe it conflicts with your definition of "on your own".

Tell me what section in the FAR/AIM addresses menstrual cycle "heavy" airline pilots who use the E-word to get it their way

You think this is Burger King?

I can't find it.....go ahead, "grab" the FAR/AIM, and "refresh us" on what section that is in.....

Latest resources

Back