• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA is recalling F/As

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have to say that that is pretty pathetic. A highly trained, professional airline pilot making $250 a week (before taxes). That would translate to $6.25 an hour if one worked a normal 40 hour week. Is that even the minimum wage?

But it's the glamour!

WyoHerk,

But you need to remember - the pilots getting hired for $20k/yr don't expect to stay there very long... remember? They're looking to build time and move to the "big steel" and make the "big bucks".

But the point that the aspiring pilots miss (but management sees all too clear) is that the more mainline shrinks while the regionals grow, the less "big steel"/"big pay" jobs are going to be around to "upgrade" to in the future.

You mentioned $6.25/hr (average) if one were working for the same pay in a 9-to-5 job.

You wanna know the heartache about it all? Guys would trample over their grandmothers to work for less.

Definitely not the aspiring pilot's fault, either.... just the sickening way the industry is/has been going.

Last edited:
That is gross @ 75 hours a month

ILStoMinimums said:
Is $20K at Eagle take home money or is that still before taxes? What is a realistic paycheck at first year pay? $700, $800, $900?
That is with the new TA, it was around $18k before that. My friend is netting about $1,800 a month flying the CRJ out of ORD. Plus, he has to pay the D-2 non-rev. fees to get there!

However, it is excellent training and is better than flight instructng. When I was hired in 1994, the requirement was 1500 TT and 300 multi. It is much less now.

Current minimums are 1000 TT, 100 multi.

Hey, the pay might be low, but you get to wear a leather jacket!

Jeff Helgeson said:
That is with the new TA, it was around $18k before that. My friend is netting about $1,800 a month flying the CRJ out of ORD. Plus, he has to pay the D-2 non-rev. fees to get there!

However, it is excellent training and is better than flight instructng. When I was hired in 1994, the requirement was 1500 TT and 300 multi. It is much less now.
What exactly is the D-2 fee?

ILStoMinimums said:
D2 fees are what employees and their spouses pay to use their "travel benefits".

The fees are determined by the mileage of each leg, classification of traveler (D2 or D3) and length of time employed by the company, in some cases.

Clear as mud?

English said:
D2 fees are what employees and their spouses pay to use their "travel benefits".

The fees are determined by the mileage of each leg, classification of traveler (D2 or D3) and length of time employed by the company, in some cases.

Clear as mud?
So a commuting pilot has to pay to get to work?

I believe that there is a charge if you have less than 5 years of service. The jumpseat access for AA employees is only available if the cabin actually fills and there is no where else to put you. They just started a new jumpseat policy that allows unlimited jumpseats, but I don't know if that only applies to OAL's or company pilots also.

D-2 is the non-revenue service charge

ILStoMinimums said:
It is priced according to segment. Here is an outdated example from 1996 prices.

BWI SJU BWI: $26 in coach, $63 for first class. Divide that number in two for the individual segment charge. On second year pay (1995-1996) I grossed $15,400 (that included a profit-sharing check) and paid $1270 in D-2 service charges to get to work, maintained a commuter pad at SJU and a commuter car. I was #3 out of 53 F/Os on the SD3-60 and usually worked around 19 days, not including the commute on top of that.

Shorter segments might be between $3 and $10. If I recall, round trip between Washington, DC area (BWI, DCA) to JFK was under $6.

The 5-year service fee exemption is a few years old.

XTW said:
I believe that there is a charge if you have less than 5 years of service. The jumpseat access for AA employees is only available if the cabin actually fills and there is no where else to put you. They just started a new jumpseat policy that allows unlimited jumpseats, but I don't know if that only applies to OAL's or company pilots also.
The 5 year deal has only been in effect for a few years. There is still a charge to ride in first. For an Eagle new-hire that commutes, the fees will add up, but still it is a nice option to have.

Latest resources

Back