AA incident in CLT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is very interesting.

I completed an ASAP report regarding an approach I executed into CLT earlier that very night. I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of equipment malfunctions were a contributing factor.
About 1.5 miles outside the FAF, while autopilot coupled to the ILS to 36C, the "approach monitor" came over tower freq to inform us, "I show you left of course, initiate an immediate right turn to rejoin the localizer." In reality, the CDI was showing about a needle-widths deflection to the left, meaning right of course.

The approach was to 36C, and the FMS cross-track error seemed nearly neutral. So it seems likely it was a radar tracking/ATC error, although it may have been a LOC anomoly.

To execute a right turn would have taken us closer to the parallel ILS being conducted to 36R. As 36L is closed/not built yet, so I decided instead to intervene and turn the aircraft a couple degrees to the left in accordance with our indications and rearmed the approach mode, the AP immediately recaptured and we flew coupled down to 300' and landed without incident.

Latest resources

Back