• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA in LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It seems to me that AA is in the best position to really be the trailblazers here since Eagle does about 90% of the RJ flying. They could make scope be a total non issue by making ALL flying done by an AA pilot by putting everyone on 1 list! Then AA could finally compete effectively within the 70-100 seat market in which they woefully lag behind the other carriers. The only thing I can think of is that the APA won't tolerate their military buddy new-hires(if hiring ever resumes again) having to fly an RJ until their seniority can hold what would be considered mainline equipment(737-MD80). The same type of attitude that resulted in all these pesky RJ's being flown by the bottom feeding regional carriers we have today.

If fences and seat locks were created to keep all those 15 to 20+ year Eagle guys from jumping ahead of the more recent AA hires of the late 90's and 2000-2001, I think in the long run it would be best for the majority involved. And I bet if you polled the Eagle pilot group, the vast majority wouldn't mind a staple anyway. The only ones who would gripe are these pathetic 15-20+ year Eagle Captains who had plenty of opportunity to move on to bigger and better during the hiring spree the legacies had back in 1998-2001, but instead, just sat on their collective a**es waiting for some presumed "flow-through". And besides, from what I have heard, 600 Eagle pilots are going to have AA numbers anyway.

It's hard to know where to start with this one. First of all, the APA cannot dictate combining AE pilots into their seniority list and contract. AE ALPA has a 5 more years on a cheap contract with AMR and even if the APA wanted a single seniority list AA would tell 'em to pound sand. Further, there's the other employee groups. Secondly, it's the general feeling that AE pilots disdain the APA in general and I doubt they would want to come to what they see as the dark side. Thirdly, there's an arbitration going on right now because AA has fallen below a pilot manning threshold in which the APA can demand that Eagle be shut down. The disposition of Eagle is still up to question. Fourthly, there are about 2000 AA pilots still on furloughs, and I doubt that Eagle would agree to being furlough fodder.

Eagle being sold off is a much more possible than any thoughts of combining the companies. AE has only 25, 70 seat airplanes because AMR wants to only pay commuter compensation for a narrow body airliner. They could have all the 70, 90, or 100 seat airplanes they want. But don't expect the APA to cave on scope like Delta and NW ALPA did.

If AA wants a BK compensation and BK scope style contracts, they're going to have to take the company to bankruptcy.

Last edited:
AE ALPA has a 5 more years on a cheap contract with AMR and even if the APA wanted a single seniority list AA would tell 'em to pound sand.

Well AA knows the APA isn't going to cave on scope, so a little compromise might be the answer. Even if anything less than 100 seats would have to be flown at a competitive payscale with the other RJ operators, while 100+ seats is considered the "A" scale. I know, many of you fought hard to get rid of the B scale pay yeras ago, but these are trying times for the profession, and it seems to be in free fall. Something radical needs to be done, while allowing both parties to walk away feeling as if they have won.

Secondly, it's the general feeling that AE pilots disdain the APA in general and I doubt they would want to come to what they see as the dark side.

Perhaps those 15-20+ year guys I mentioned earlier, but that could be the result of mainline guys treating the RJ pilots as if they were a pariah.

Fourthly, there are about 2000 AA pilots still on furloughs, and I doubt that Eagle would agree to being furlough fodder.

Thus the seat locks and fences. It would be hard work and many would be unhappy, but I feel in the long run it would be beneficial to most.

They could have all the 70, 90, or 100 seat airplanes they want. But don't expect the APA to cave on scope like Delta and NW ALPA did.

If AA wants a BK compensation and BK scope style contracts, they're going to have to take the company to bankruptcy.

Those are some strong words. I surely hope the majority of you will hold to that. The problem is, all these other clowns like the Delta and NWA boys not to mention USAir have hundreds of these 170-175-190's flying around. Enough to make me sick. It's my dream to have no more regional airlines around before I die. Yes I know, it's just a pipedream!

Well AA knows the APA isn't going to cave on scope, so a little compromise might be the answer. Even if anything less than 100 seats would have to be flown at a competitive payscale with the other RJ operators, while 100+ seats is considered the "A" scale. I know, many of you fought hard to get rid of the B scale pay yeras ago, but these are trying times for the profession, and it seems to be in free fall. Something radical needs to be done, while allowing both parties to walk away feeling as if they have won.

Im currently at a regional and I agree. Lets face it the regionals are a B scale. We might as well have that B scale attached to a mainline seniority number, and work rules.

Some would argue that these A/C would come on property to replace MD80's. I would say better to have them at mainline than subcontracted and replacing MD80's. Most of these A/C would however be growth a/c. The MD80/737 would still have its use and may shrink slightly but the E170/175 fills a void the company currently doesnt have. I would argue that the pilot ranks at AA would in fact grow due to these A/C being operated at mainline.

Everyone currently at American is on or near 12 year wages. Im sure alot of American FO's would not mind taking a small paycut to be a Captain.

Republic E175 CA Rates
1. 64
2. 68
3. 73
4. 75
5. 77
6. 80
7. 82
8. 85
9. 87
10. 90
11. 93
12. 96
20. 119

American MD 80 FO
1. 35
2. 75
3. 90
4. 92
5. 95
6. 97
7. 99
8. 102
9. 105
10. 107
11. 109
12. 110

The E170/175 FO pay rates would be lower than MD80 rates however most of the 170/175 right seats would be filled with new hires.

Because everyone currently at American is on a high longevity pay rate these guys wouldnt see a cut in thier pay. The new guys that would get hired as a result are already on these "B" scale wages at the regionals so nothing changes for them either. The new hires now have the opportunity to move on to larger A/C within the company later without having to return to 1st year wages again. It's a win win for both groups.

Yes, there are many options to turn things around but no one with the power to do so is the forward thinker required to make things happen. As long as CEO's and managers are getting theirs, nothing will change.

Latest resources

Back