• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA guys - LASIK doctor in DFW area?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dr. Booth will not touch airline pilots.

I got mine done at Dr. Tylock.

www.tylock.com

Negotiate hard! There's ads all over the stations offering buy one, get one free.

By the way, I'm 20/10 in both eyes. 18 months post-op.

Thinking about getting LASIK done and need some DFW area LASIK recommendations. Price not really a limit (not 5 millon dollars, but...)

thanks

Might want to look into Intacs they are the next big thing in vision correction. They are more expensive than lasik but even lower risk with the same results. Basically they implant a contact lens through a flap in your eye similar to how lasik is done, but if your vision ever changes they can go back in and change the contacts out. That is the way I am going to go if I am a candidate.

I would at least get a consultation with Dr. Ryne in Southlake. He did mine back in January and I am now 20/15. He has quite a bit of experience in working with professional pilots. He is not the cheapest place in town by any stretch, but then again, I wasn't looking for the cheapest either. If you decide to use him send me a PM, I get a referral bonus (I may even split it with you-LOL).

http://www.clearviewlaservision.com/ryne.php

Thinking about getting LASIK done and need some DFW area LASIK recommendations. Price not really a limit (not 5 millon dollars, but...)

thanks

http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/patie...pe=clinInterest&specialty=Any&index=4,00.html

UT Health Science Center Dallas. This guy's great. They have their own lasers.

You also need this.

http://forms.faa.gov/info_new.asp?form_number=8500-7&open_doc=N

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/lasereye_ii.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/medical/oamtechreports/2000s/media/200609.pdf

Am I the only one that thinks it's stupid to gamble a multi million dollar career, just so you don't have to take 30sec a day to put in contacts, or 3 sec to put on glasses?

Am I the only one that thinks it's stupid to gamble a multi million dollar career, just so you don't have to take 30sec a day to put in contacts, or 3 sec to put on glasses?

Exactly!!! I'm not going to have surgery on anything I NEED for my career. Plus, chicks dig me in glasses.

Things may have improved significantly since 2001 when this happened.
Among them is a young, highly paid pilot for United Airlines whose flying career was destroyed after LASIK surgery performed in Tucson severely damaged his night vision.

Now declared unfit to fly the jets that were his passion and his livelihood, Steve Post, 33, remains in shock a year after the surgery he hoped - as so many do - would simply liberate him from glasses and contact lenses.

"When I first realized the problems were not going away, as they said they would, I was in a lot of turmoil," said Post. "I thought, 'My God, is this the end of my career?'

"I was a captain in the world's largest airline. I loved my job, I was set for life. There has been a lot of difficulty accepting that this really is the end of my career. It's been very hard to let go."

Though sentenced to glasses and contacts to correct his poor distance-vision since he was 17, Post was never hindered in his fast-track flying career. He joined United at 24 and zoomed to 737 captain by 31 - about 10 years before most pilots do.

"I didn't have to have it (LASIK) to fly. I was just pretty frustrated with having to wear glasses all the time," he said.

While weighing going under the laser, Post did his homework, spending a year researching the surgery and the surgeons. He settled on Snyder at the UA - one of the two top LASIK surgeons in Tucson, his research found.

What went wrong for Post is one of the most common problems producing bad outcomes associated with LASIK surgery, according to his account.
The surgery itself, performed by Snyder, was not the problem. It went flawlessly, he said.

Rather, Post believes he was erroneously evaluated before the surgery by a technician and an optometrist, who pronounced him an "excellent" candidate for LASIK surgery.

In short, he alleges they failed to accurately measure the size of his pupils - one of the vital criteria for LASIK surgery. Patients with very large pupils often suffer severe problems with night vision after the surgery - what are known as "starbursts, haloes and ghosting" around lights.

It is a phenomenon that destroys the ability to see objects clearly at night.

One of the most common and debilitating complications of LASIK surgery, the problem is usually blamed on technicians not trained well enough to do accurate measurement, or clinics too eager to take on too many patients, even risky ones.

A year after his surgery, with no improvement in his night vision, Post has been permanently medically grounded by the Federal Aviation Administration. He will never fly commercial planes again.

Instead, he has returned to his home in Sierra Vista, where he does volunteer work with troubled youth, has become licensed as a foster parent, and has trained his dogs for therapy work in nursing homes.
But it may be one way to restore your retirement.
A man whose career as a commercial pilot was ended by a LASIK eye operation should get a $4 million judgment, a judge ruled.

The Superior Court judge reinstated a $4 million judgment against University Physicians Healthcare - formerly University Physicians Inc. - in the case of former United Airlines pilot Steve Post, whose night vision was reduced by the eye surgery.

With interest, the judgment is now at $4.3 million, the largest verdict in a LASIK case in the United States.

Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis is intended to eliminate or reduce dependency on eyeglasses or contacts.

Post successfully claimed in his lawsuit in May 2002 that his large pupils made him an inappropriate candidate for such surgery and that proper screening and pupil measurement by UPI would have revealed this before his surgery. His surgery was performed at UPI's The LASIK Center, 655 N. Alvernon Way.

Post's loss of night vision left him unable to fly for commercial airlines. He said during trial he would not have had the surgery had he been told he was at increased risk for night vision problems.

Judge Kenneth Lee granted UPI's motion for a new trial when Post's expert witness, Dr. Jeffery Machat, a Canadian ophthalmologist, recanted testimony that UPI had fallen below the standard of care in performing LASIK on Post.

The Arizona Court of Appeals overturned the ruling in January, and the Arizona Supreme Court declined to review it this summer.

Lee ruled to reinstate the verdict late last week.

"I'm really disappointed and we're considering our options," said Norm Botsford, president and chief executive of UPI.

Last edited:
I personally would not do it, but I know many that have. Their results have been amazing. Fact is that if you listen to the Doctor, do not rub your eyes, you should be fine.

Most people can resume "normal activity" that day. Most I know see halos at night for at least a month.

Latest resources

Back