AA Gate Agents

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

justin15e

I thought I would bring this to the attention of some AA pilots and find out what you guys think. I work for CAL and just got hired a few months ago.

I was trying to commute home to Raleigh from Seattle the other day and I had planned on jumping on a Delta flight thru SLC. Anyway, wx was bad in SLC, so at about 30 mins prior to scheduled departure, I saw an AA flight to RDU thru DFW. I ran over to the gate and got there 20 mins prior to dept and the plane was already boarded.

So I told the gate agent I wanted to request jumpseat privilege on the flight. There were 2 agents. One was helping a passenger moved from an Alaska airlines flight to the AA flight. She was actually crying because she was told she would have a first class seat on the aircraft, and told them she wouldn't take the "only" flight available if she had to sit in coach. (That's besides the point) My point is, the gate agent gave me crap because I wasn't there at the gate "earlier". I explained that I just got to the airport(from a CAL flight), thus I got to the gate as fast as I could.

I waited there patiently as the one agent clicked away trying to figure out how to register me on the jumpseat. Then, after ~8mins of incompetence, she said she couldn't figure out how to do it, and asked the other gate agent if she could do it for her. The other gate agent just got finished with the crying passenger and I asked nicely if she could help me out since this was the only flight I was able to use to commute home.

She wasted another 4 minutes lecturing me on how I should have got there earlier, and then said, "sorry, I have to close the gate, we can't accept a late dept for you". Now, I understand her reasoning, but I said, "I understand, I don't want to cause you guys a late takeoff, but can you just talk to the Capt and see what he says about waiting a few mins to get me on the flight" She told me straight up, "No". I asked again, "Can you please help me out, this is the only flight that will get me home tonight, and I'm pretty confident that the Capt will wait till you finish helping out a fellow aviator. Anyway, she said, and I quote, "The Capt owns the aircraft when he pulls out from the gate, but until then, it's my aircraft, and my decision."

I think my jaw dropped, and I knew I wasn't getting on the plane. I was as nice as I thought I was capable at the time, and said, "Thanks for the help!" and dragged myself away.

Anyway, I know this isn't a AA gate agent thing only, I've had my share of CAL gate agents who are much less then competent as well. I just thought the fact that the agent wouldn't talk to the Capt and tell him he had a jumpseater trying to get on the flight was preposterous.

Any thoughts?

the AA jumpseat process has to be the most complicated computer system i have experienced. seems like it is about a 10 step process or more. the only people who seem to be savvy with it are those who work the hubs and see it regularly. it seems to average at least 5 minutes if you know what you're doing with the system.

clearly these folks were covering up their inexperience with the system by just leaving you behind. it's not fair, but i recommend the professional path and report it in full detail to the CAL jumpseat coordinator.

keep in mind that we are STILL leaving pilots behind because of an unreliable CASS system. i find that unacceptable. a universal passport reader should do all the work for the gate agent. they should not be required to type in DOS code to get a pilot home.

report it to the Jumpseat Committee. the person in charge of that is very responsive and a nice lady.

hope you got home ok. weather has been tough out West.

yeah, this story sounds familiar... Don't try to jumpseat through ATL, the AA gate agents there are a nightmare. I've had a Chautauqua captain write me a buddy pass to get me on because the gate agent wouldn't let me on the jumpseat. I've been left many many many many times with open seats on the plane simply because they couldn't figure out how to list me on the Sabre system.

If you have jumpseated for any period of time, then you have a had at least one really bad experience. Here is just one of mine.

Walked up to the gate about 20 minutes prior to departure. I waited at the front of the line for 10 minutes, while every a$$hole passenger went straight to the podium (never mind the line). As they were closing out the flight, me still waiting in line, the gate agent asked, "did you need something?". I told her I have been waiting patiently in line for the jumpseat, she told me "sorry, its too late".

Thankfully, those commuting days are over.

But thanks to all that made my commuting days easy, UAL, AA, and jB.

I've seen more then my fair share of Nazi gate agents at a number of airlines. AA has actually always been very helpful to me in LGA and DTW. Not sure how the rest are, but at least those two stations always treated me quite well.

"The Capt owns the aircraft when he pulls out from the gate, but until then, it's my aircraft, and my decision."

Sadly, that IS how AMR trains their gate agents. Too much power if you ask me. I think the nice agents are the ones who have been stranded somewhere on a pass and know what it's like. The sabre codes to list a jumpseater are no more complex than any other entry, i.e., they take but a few seconds to fat-finger in.

I feel your pain in regards to SEA AA CSAs. They are always awful! I had a similar experience in regards to showing up to the gate with about 20+ minutes to spare. I apologized profusely right upon arrival and told her my other flight was full and she glared at me and said, "If you are going to beg for a free ride that nobody else is entitled to, the least you could do is list prior to showing. I don't have the time or the patience for you pilots anymore." She begrudgingly got me on but I was dismayed in that I explained to her I just ran over from the other flight as fast as I could and I did not have time to phone list. She was just plain mean. Now, the AA folks at JFK were always very nice, professional and made the process enjoyable as could be. That all being said, some places are worse than others but I think it boils down to the individual CSA and probably more importantly how they are treated by AA. I can only guess some are treated poorly which would explain why they are so angry. Thanks for the rides AA though!

Is well known about the SkyNazi gate agents and their egos. That's why I've always avoided AA.

yeah, this story sounds familiar... Don't try to jumpseat through ATL, the AA gate agents there are a nightmare. I've had a Chautauqua captain write me a buddy pass to get me on because the gate agent wouldn't let me on the jumpseat. I've been left many many many many times with open seats on the plane simply because they couldn't figure out how to list me on the Sabre system.

That's funny as the only place I've used AA recently was from ATL to DFW and the agents were very pleasant and gave me a boarding pass instantly and even took the time to get me an aisle seat.

IAHERJ

This abuse has to end. I suggest that whenever you encounter a very rude agent, after you politely thank her for "her help", you should ask her for her name, and employee number for your report.

If they give you an attitude, have the sweetest smile and in a very nice and polite tone explain to them that you need to report this incident... AND REPORT IT!

If it's your own airline, write up that rude bastard of an agent for being incompetent if that's the case, or very rude/unprofessional. Think of it this way, if they treat a fellow employee with utter contempt, how do they treat a paying passenger?

If it's another airline, take the name, employee number, and forward the flight number, and the agent's name to your JS coordinator.

Latest resources

Back