AA furlough recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aviator1978

How many are getting calls, and how many are going back?

Is there any deadline that says that furlough must be called back before a specific time or they lose their furlough status?

50 a month with about a 65% accept rate. Three years from the last furloughee recalled is the time limit.

How many are left? IF they stay at this rate when will they start hiring off the street?

i thought it was a 35% accept rate. I must have been misreading my emails....

It was, however, we have now hit the point where the next 1500 or so pilots are all ex-TWA (like 1990 hires thru 2001).....I would bet the accept rate will increase to near 50% for a while just because of the senior TWA pilots now being recalled. Also, age 65 may increase the overall rate even more.

How many are left? IF they stay at this rate when will they start hiring off the street?

We are up to almost 1400 out of around 2700 on the street, about halfway through. If it stays at 40 or 50/month (doubtful), we should be through the list by early spring 2009. Methinks they will reduce (but not stop) the recalls - even with age 65, we are way undermanned.

I believe your guess is incorrect....

First of all, the recall rate of return is about 35%. You are correct.

There have been less of the former TWA pilots returning than AA pilots if I read the numbers correctly from one of the AA pilots on the APA website.

The TWA pilots that are being recalled now are 1988 - 1989 hires. They have not reached the 1990 hires yet. All the TWA recalls were Captains before. They all have over 12 years of service so they are at the top of the current F/O pay scale upon return to AA, which maxes out at 12 years.

I would imagine that the recall acceptance rate for the former TWA pilots will drop off more once they reach the 1996 - 2000 hires. Most of them have been on furlough for about 4.5 - 7 years. Many have jobs that pay the same or more than what they would make upon return to AA with the current contract.

AA is in Section 6 contract negotiations (including length Of Service LOS credit for time on furlough), age 65 rule, high oil prices, the sagging economy all are variable that would most likely keep many from returning for a few more years.

Just a few clarifications and a few thoughts.

It was, however, we have now hit the point where the next 1500 or so pilots are all ex-TWA (like 1990 hires thru 2001).....I would bet the accept rate will increase to near 50% for a while just because of the senior TWA pilots now being recalled. Also, age 65 may increase the overall rate even more.

According to the APA website postings, of about 257 TWA pilots contacted, 152 have accepted recall (60%). That includes the flowbacks and non-flowback TWA pilots. The total rate, including all AA and TWA, is (was) about 35%. With the age 65 crap, we just hope the company keeps recalling at a good rate.

Latest resources

Back