Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AV8OR

Please...no flaming.

I heard a rumor, that APA or AMR, was keepng the manadatory retirement age at 60 against the grain of the FAA ruling. Any truth to this at all?

Thanks....

The contract doesn't have to change just because the Law did. Alaska, for now at least, is remaining 60 as well.

Not true at all. Several have stayed beyond 60 so far.

A lot of "Natives" have gone because they locked into a high share value several months ago and would lose money by staying.

Most TWA guys are staying for the opposite reason. TC

"The contract doesn't have to change just because the Law did. Alaska, for now at least, is remaining 60 as well"

Alaska guys/girls, is that true?

My man Ferlo said it right. Infact very few are staying and those that are staying are MD-80 guys who will walk away after the jet goes away. With the A plan in tact and the formula for the lump sum changing ( in the companies favor ) Guys know they start losing money. It's been 3 years since Kasher and now you start running up against the best five of your last ten years. I also know of a handfull of guys that are all going to walk at the same time. 30 days notice is all you need. It's gonna be a long summer.

Please...no flaming.

I heard a rumor, that APA or AMR, was keepng the manadatory retirement age at 60 against the grain of the FAA ruling. Any truth to this at all?

Thanks....

Sorry to sound like a smart @ss, but the FAA didn't have a "ruling" on the matter. Congress Passed it and the President signed it into US Law. So, if AMR or Alaska wants to keep that in their contract, that is up to them. However, that doesn't change the fact that it is now illegal in the U.S.A. to make an airline pilot quit under age 65.

I am a junior F/O and I've heard a lot of other junior F/Os whining about this. Waaaa, let them stay and have their half million extra income and work a few more years to pay off lingering debts. When we are 60 years old, we can stay around and make an extra million in 2038 dollars. It all comes around. It's called delayed gratification. We're not too familiar with this term in the US. Get used to the idea.

Latest resources

Back