Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A380 wing snaps before design load limits..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
habubuaza said:
They talk about the wing failing at 7.4 meters. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 747 wing get up to like 10 meters prior to structural failure?
No they said the wing bent "7.4 meter" before it failed "between 1.45 and 1.5 times the limit load".

I wonder if EASA will buy off on the Finite Element Model analysis, or require them to build and break another wing?

mzaharis said:
I wonder if EASA will buy off on the Finite Element Model analysis, or require them to build and break another wing?

The requirement is 1.5 X the normal operating limit which it failed before that point. I don't see how they won't have to re-design something in the wing.

I think that thing is going to cost them dearly! I wonder who is going to insure the hull loss, or the liability! No wonder no US carrier wants it.

Typical, it's French, it surrendered before it was supposed to.

-Xavier- said:
The requirement is 1.5 X the normal operating limit which it failed before that point. I don't see how they won't have to re-design something in the wing.

Oh, definitely (shades of C-17 development, and its redesign after breaking at 1.4 times normal operating limit, IIRC). I was wondering if they were going to require another (expensive and time-consuming) static test element (another new wing that wasn't on the build schedule), or if EASA and FAA would accept that the finite element (computer) models are sufficiently accurate to ensure that the redesign is good enough.

PaulThomas said:
No they said the wing bent "7.4 meter" before it failed "between 1.45 and 1.5 times the limit load".

Yes they did I stand corrected.

Latest resources

Back