Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A380 wing snaps before design load limits..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rally said:
So from what I see the United interpreted the Position and Hold as a takeoff clearance? Or am I missing something.

Not sure, but definately some sort of runway incursion

mzaharis said:
But FAR 25.305 follows up with:

When analytical methods are used to show compliance with the ultimate load strength requirements, it must be shown that—

(1) The effects of deformation are not significant;
(2) The deformations involved are fully accounted for in the analysis; or
(3) The methods and assumptions used are sufficient to cover the effects of these deformations.

But when allowable deformation occurs in a structure, it is still capable of carrying the rated load. In this case, the wing broke.

I'm not sure about it, but I don't think Airbus is permitted to use a computer stress analysis to validate the wing structure- it has to be an actual test.
Airbus might try sneaking around the rules on this matter too. I heard that regarding the evacuation, they originally tried to certify the A380 based on "approximations" with existing data, using A330 data for the upper deck, and A300 data for the lower deck, and that idea was promptly shot down. It could be that they were simply trying to save the cost of a full-up test, or it could be that they too are worried about the A380 being able to pass.

LJDRVR said:
Nothing ugly about the shorts at all.
What!?? The Shorts is one of the ugliest airplanes ever built. Of course it IS so ugly, it is good looking.

mzaharis said:
But FAR 25.305 follows up with...

Isn't the A380 being first certified under JAR-land rules and regs....what exactly do those say? It may be the same - I don't know. Lots of interesting info though.

EagleRJ said:
and the A380 has yet to pass the 90-second passenger evacuation drill, a test some experts think it doesn't have enough doors to pass! No pass- no pax.
What a disaster. :rolleyes:

No pax wouldn't be a total disaster...just a big double-decker freighter

joe_pilot said:
What!?? The Shorts is one of the ugliest airplanes ever built. Of course it IS so ugly, it is good looking.

An airplane built by ship-builders (and it still isn't waterproof from what I've been told)

Just a few corrections:

A/ The wing ain't French, it's British. Not the sort of people know to surrender.

B/ The A380 is already a commercial success, with 159 orders to date. Ugly or not. Check how many orders the 747 had 9 months before entering revenue service.

C/ Why no US airlines have bought them? Well, probably because the only viable candidates don't have any money!

D/ The evac test will be interesting. I have no doubt it will pass, eventually. Airbus will try to do it with max. pax load, which is in the 850ish range. Please bear in mind that no airline are planning to have more than 550 seats, and it will easily evac 550 people in 90 seconds. It's got, what, 18 doors? If the 747 can evac 490 using 5 doors, why shouldn't the A380 do 850 with 9? Oh, and the slides are American in design and manufacture!

As for the wing, I have no worries whatsoever that it will meet design and certification criteria.

With a wing redesign coming, plus an additional static test, 159 airframes is far from the break even point.

EuroWheenie said:
B/ The A380 is already a commercial success, with 159 orders to date. Ugly or not. Check how many orders the 747 had 9 months before entering revenue service.

But the rate of new orders has tapered off to near zero. Many airlines with existing orders and options appear to be having second thoughts, due to A380 performance shortfalls, operational issues, and the announcement of the B747-800. I don't know where the break-even is, but I don't know if you can pronounce the A380 a "commercial success" with 159 orders and none yet in revenue service. The 747 family is considered a success, but Boeing has built more than 1300 of them.

C/ Why no US airlines have bought them? Well, probably because the only viable candidates don't have any money!

Right, like Airbus never "gives" aircraft to operators that are in precarious financial condition, to boost their sales totals? :rolleyes: Remember Independence Air?
More likely, US airlines don't see a need for an aircraft that can only fly into a handful of airports and is too big for any of their markets. It appears that they are happy with their 747s and 777s.

D/ The evac test will be interesting. I have no doubt it will pass, eventually. Airbus will try to do it with max. pax load, which is in the 850ish range. Please bear in mind that no airline are planning to have more than 550 seats, and it will easily evac 550 people in 90 seconds. It's got, what, 18 doors? If the 747 can evac 490 using 5 doors, why shouldn't the A380 do 850 with 9? Oh, and the slides are American in design and manufacture!

The A380 has 16 exits, and the 747 has 12. The main problem is that while the 747 has just a small first-class area on the second deck (with two dedicated exits), the A380 has a whole passenger deck. There are concerns with the height of those escape slides, as well as the possibility that passengers will use the stairs and overload lower level exits (as has happened in previous 747 evacuations). Link

The Shorts aka the "Irish Concorde" is a beautiful airplane

Latest resources

Back