A320 Job Offer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Shaheen

Here we go boys and girls...just been offered a job to fly A320 in India. I'm of Indian descent, born in the US, and have been flying HP Twin Cessnas in the US under 135.

ME time is coming up to just over 500. November date is offered for the ground school but the pay is very low. I won't go in to details but you can make more here flying for a regional as a new pilot than flying A320 in India.

First, please no negative stuff, I want to hear from you guys just your simple, straight, honest opinion. Some of my friends already think I am nuts for even having a doubt about takin up that job offer, but then again others have mentioned important stuff that might affect my personal life.

I have a wife, two kids, house, 401k, etc. Meaning, I would have to uproot everything and go there for the contarct period of at least two years. I am told that fo is logging close to 800 hours/year in the A320 so we're talking about 1500-1800 A320 time.

My plan is to return to the US after gaining some experience. What do you guys think about the prospects on returning with that experience. I want to stay in India for the shortest period I could, my contractual obligations, and return to the West Coast.

If I decide to stay over that period, the upgrade is running around 2.5-3 years...but, honestly, I don't know if can even handle 2 year.

Now, like I said, please no negative remarks. I am asking for your opinion as if what would you do.

Wife doesn't want to leave though, she suggest waiting for calls from regionals (applied to ten, no interviews yet).

One of my instructors is now flying for the same airline as a Captain and will be returning to the US next year, flying is good he says but quality of life sucks.

Fire away.

I suggest you find a cheap divorce lawyer. If you take this job your marriage will be over.

I suggest you find a cheap divorce lawyer. If you take this job your marriage will be over.

Wife understands the situation, would rather live here, but has mentioned she would move with me if it comes down to it. On the other hand, she's more concerned about the 'prospect' upon returning.

That is where I need some insight. It's a time investment for good experience. Or is it not?

By going to India, it will put you out of contact of US job opportunities. You'll have to move back to the US to re-begin your job search. No US employers will pay for your ticket to/from India.

You'd be better off biding your time in the US until that interview comes. Where have you applied in the US?

I hate to admit it....but halintexas is right. We dont know your relationship and how it is but the chances of making it through a move like this and keeping your marriage together are slim. No matter how you justify it your wife will always think that moving to india and flying for nothing was worth more to you than your family. Not trying to be negative, just realistic. Good luck with your decision.

Longhorn,

What if he gets typed in the A320? Would that help his chances of getting on at JetBlue or Frontier (assuming they are hiring) when he gets back?

Don't do it. The 320 F/O time is not worth it. Someone will call you. Just hold on. You are getting good ME time, which is what the regionals want. You didn't mention your wife's backround. If she is not from India also, you may develop a classic case of Aviation Divorce Syndrome.

Longhorn,

What if he gets typed in the A320? Would that help his chances of getting on at JetBlue or Frontier (assuming they are hiring) when he gets back?

A type rating over in India is not the same as getting a type over here. I have a friend working for Kingfisher and he seems to like it, but the pay is anything but low. Being of Indian decent means nothing if you have never been there. I've had opportunities in India and Asia ( In the left seat) and I was headed for Asia eventhough the pay in India was better. Just not worth it to me. Be very careful taking a job in the right seat as a contract pilot. There are companies in Asia offering jobs in the right seat and a type rating, you might want to check those out as well..... definitely a lot better then living in India JMHO. Good luck and becareful cause this kind of move sets the ball in motion for becoming a contract pilot..... not always bad, but the stability thing plays a big part for your family. Again good luck....

ps. Try pilotpointer.com and get yourself a six pack and a whole afternoon. The left side of the website has a ton of contractors looking for pilots. Fill out all of the apps you can and they'll be intouch with you.

This business is all about cycles. I believe that this industry, barring any catastrophes, is starting in an up cycle. I wbouldn't want to be out in India when the hiring cycle begins here, two years is a long time in this business. If you wanted to fly in India two years ago I would have said it might have made sense then, not now.

Most important point: Married, family men or women should not chase airplane jobs around the world. If your spouse was the adventurous type and really wanted the experience, maybe. I've seen too many wrecked lives by those chasing airplane jobs.

Stay here and keep on keeping on, don't give up!

P.S.
she would move with me if it comes down to it.
This is female for, I will do it but I will make your life a living hell for the rest of your life or at least until the divorce.

Last edited:
Do your homework

Have you been to India as an adult??? The lure of "overseas, exotic assignment" is seductive sometimes. Be careful. Having flown into Delhi several times with FDX, I can tell you it's no picnic over there. There are some beautiful places, but the majority of the places I've seen look extremely impoverished!! The folks living in the "projects" here in the USA ought to go over there for a walkabout sometime. I think they'd quickly realize how lucky they've got it. It's NOTHING like the U.S. and I think your wife would be in for an extreme culture shock. Of course, it would give both of you an increased appreciation for the USA. My wife and I have both lived overseas, and we're grateful for the experiences. Neither country we spent time in was, however, a third world country. Think and talk it over. Continue to solicit information, but you and your family have to live with the decision.

Good luck

Latest resources

Back