• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Tranny's first day of class at Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If your using them with flaps on a daily basis then your planning is poor at best. Yes I undertsand ATC can throw a curve ball once in a while. I still have never had the need to use speed brakes with flaps. Even for my poor planning. Or high at 6/7000 ft with a tight approach. Still can turn inside the marker without speedbrakes and be fine at 1000ft.

Love the guys that use them to keep the plane at 266/261 drag required. What the heck is that about?

Like Kermit said. Be sure you let Torti know how to fly the 737 in training. He will love to hear your input. By the way AT are allowed below 10,000ft now. Have been for a good while now.

It's all good!!!!, I will fly it anyway Southwest tells me to fly it! Heck, I'll fly it in my underwear too if that's how SWA rolls!

I love you vixin. I was complimenting your ability to NOT use the speedbrakes. Guess you took it otherwise.

Gup

I just want to be a fly in the wall when someone tells Bob how they did it at the Tranny. Maybe the vein in his head will pop after 5-10 f-bombs. That would be exciting! :)

I love those old school airline personalities, political correctness be damned! My first 121 job was night freight with a group of ex-Continental strikers on the 727. They smoked like chimneys (in the cockpit), drank like fish on layovers, and had the greatest stories!

Wow!

Humor factor = 9.2

Accuracy factor regarding Torti's vocabulary = 11.0!!

Just saw BT this wek. He's dropped 60 lbs. Looks like an MMA fighter. In a sweater.

If your using them with flaps on a daily basis then your planning is poor at best. Yes I undertsand ATC can throw a curve ball once in a while. I still have never had the need to use speed brakes with flaps. Even for my poor planning. Or high at 6/7000 ft with a tight approach. Still can turn inside the marker without speedbrakes and be fine at 1000ft.
Sure, if you like to drop the gear at 7,000'. Personally, I don't care for that... it's loud, it's obnoxious, and I like smooth transitions into approaches, and there's not an easy way on the -700 to slow from 250 to 180 kts while simultaneously needing to descend at 2,000+ fpm for a slam dunk approach without involving either the gear or simultaneous use of speed brakes and flaps. The -700 just doesn't like to slow down.

As far as poor planning... well... let's just say with my experience level, that's something I haven't been accused of in a LONG time, but if it makes you feel better to throw that out there... *snicker* ;)

Lear from what I understand is the tail section has to be X-rayed if the speed breaks and flaps are used together,during certain phase checks. Cost money to do so. It's a company limitation. We use speed breaks and gear especially out west like ONT. And yes the give us the visual slam dunks all the time because the know we can do it. But hey saves us from going to the back of the line.
Thanks, that makes sense. I appreciate the *ahem* "mature" response. :D

I love those old school airline personalities, political correctness be damned! My first 121 job was night freight with a group of ex-Continental strikers on the 727. They smoked like chimneys (in the cockpit), drank like fish on layovers, and had the greatest stories!
Same types of guys I learned to fly the Lear, Falcon, and 727 from. Was quite an "education"... :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back