• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

a thought about this industry...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Sorry, I knew that. I was just trying to prove a point that newhires can't be blamed for lowering the bar because they don't have that type of influence."

Mostly agree, unless they join a PFT or a "Freedom Airlines" type company..................

pas-sive in-come \'pas-iv 'in-kum\ adj : monies received without having to work. eg., real estate, stocks, monies payed to you by your "women-of-the-night," etc. Monies received from a job is NOT passive income.

'monies payed to you by your "women-of-the-night," etc.'

Keep yo' pimp hand strong!

I'm gonna tell you what I think...some will say I'm drinkin kool aide or whatever...I dont really care.

Yes, the "regional" guys are underpaid. Yes, the Majors are in a schlump.
This has all happened before. Sooner or later the industry will straighten itself out. All we gotta do is continue doing what we do. Whipsawing, low pay, concessions, furloughs will soon give way to higher pay, explosive growth and enough flying for everyone, then we'll go right back to where we are right now again. This industry is a continuous cycle.

I am certain that as long as we stick to our guns and remain professional, the two tier pay of Major vs. Regional pilot will go away, the gap is too large to sustain over time. I'll go one further and say that I think that eventually all jets will be flown by major carriers. Once the pay equalizes itself, what is the advantage of having two companies at an added cost?
One of these years, your going to see a mass consolidation of the airlines, regional and major alike. All it takes is one CEO to make the decision to consolidate and the rest will follow his lead, it is the way of things in this industry. Everyone follows eachother around.

So when your down about contract negotiations or recieving your paycheck, do what I do....Try to remember that day when you were hired, if you don't have kids, it was probably the best day of your life. I was so thrilled when I got hired, my mouth hurt from smiling by the time I got back to EWR, and I was about to take a pay CUT from my CFI job. Hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel, any 777 CA will tell you that because they've all sat where you are right now.

SigAV8R said:
Sorry, I knew that. I was just trying to prove a point that newhires can't be blamed for lowering the bar because they don't have that type of influence.

Let's put the blame on the company where it belongs. It's our fault if the issue of PFT is not addressed in the contract. If, as working pilots, we are not willing to take a stand against it by requiring a no PFT clause in the contract then I can hardly blame a new hire. I keep hearing...."Why should we take some kind of hit for someone who doesn't even work for the company yet?"

Not to be on the side of PFT but would you go work for SWA if they offered you a job right now?

I certainly would.

Who in the regionals still does PFT anyway, I thought that went out with bell bottoms.

Reading these post and most of the regional boards makes me know for certain I was correct for leaving the regional industry. ALL managments in this industry suck and suffice to say so do most of the pilots. I asked one question to myself, am I happy waking up and going to work. NO was the overwhelming reponse. Was the pay good? NO, it was embarassing even after 5 years. Did managment appreciate me? NO, if you dont think that is important go work for a real Fortune 500 and you will see the difference! But I do miss the people and relationships...
Anyway, I got 5000% better job. I can buy things, go places and get this, even have a life without scheduling sucking the life out of me. What I am trying to say is GET OUT of this industry there has to be something more redeming than drunken overnights and the almighty turbine PIC time in the regional industry. If you are offended then you are blind, if you understand get motivated and GO!

LMFAO

:D

Passive income:

"Monies paid to you by yo women of the night."

LMAO

That was great. Glad to see that some folk in the regional industry still have a sense of humor. By the way, my womens' is out workin them streets right now! j/k :cool:

Mr Hat said:
Not to be on the side of PFT but would you go work for SWA if they offered you a job right now?

People who continually bring up SWA and PFT in the same sentence obviously don't have a very good grasp on PFT. PFT is company required, company (and aircraft) specific training that the company is required (by the FAA) to provide, but that the company requires YOU to pay for as a condition of employment.

I have a B737 type rating. Paid for by a previous employer. This didn't cost me a nickel of my own money...nor was is provided by SWA as part of their FAA approved training program. However, I am still qualified to apply and be hired at SWA. So how, by anyone's definition, is this PFT????

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back