A technique question for the ages......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Da-20

Wing down on the King Air 350 but I was tought crab and kick touchdown level on sweep wings.
Wing down works just fine in the DA-20; it is what I teach. Of course it has wing like a trainer airplane and ailerons the size of most airplanes flaps. In the L-188 and DC-9 we had to crab and kick if we anything above a minor X-wind

Last edited:
Yeah, the Falcon 20 was a great airplane to cross control or wing low. The Citation X on the other hand, don't even try it in big crosswinds! Works in low to med winds, but not strong crosswinds as you'll drag a wing in a hurry doing it then!

I just hate the use of the word kick. It implies abrupt control movements and I can't imagine why anyone would intentionally do something abrupt. Maybe we can rename it to Crab and Correct.

On narrowbodies (DC-9, 737, etc), maintain the crab until over the threshold then lower the upwind wing to maintain centerline while straightening the nose with the rudder. The flare is done cross-controlled, landing on the upwind wheels first. In a really strong crosswind, you should have close to full aileron into the wind as the downwind wheels touchdown (helps the rudder keep the nose straight). Keep the aileron in during roll out until rudder is no longer used for directional control.

When planning on landing with a strong crosswind, make sure the ground spoilers get armed, and make sure they come up after touchdown. If you don't, you may find the upwind wing coming back up after the downwind wheels touch down even with full aileron into the wind. I know the DC-9 can do it!

almost like a DC-3

When planning on landing with a strong crosswind, make sure the ground spoilers get armed, and make sure they come up after touchdown. If you don't, you may find the upwind wing coming back up after the downwind wheels touch down even with full aileron into the wind. I know the DC-9 can do it!
Almost like its older brother the DC-3 don't take out the X-wind correction before slowing to a taxi speed But on the 9 don't get that spoiler up before touchdown.

True. The 737 has a bad habit of deploying auto spoilers after small bounces. One learns to guard the handle until settled securely on the runway.

Its been some years since I've flown the mighty Buff, but yes, it is rather unique in how it deals with a cross wind. The airplane has a huge knob at the aft end of the center pedestal. With said knob, you simply dialed in the correct amount of crab angle for the main gear. You then simply landed in a crab, with the main gear at the set angle off centerline. OK, it was a bit weird the first few times you tried it, and for some guys, it was never pretty!

SPIKE

Of course then there is the B-52, which I understand you do not use either technique. You crap the wheels and land in a crap, no wing down, no kick, just land looking out the side window. Any B-52 drivers care to confirm?

If you don't use the right technique, you probably will crap the wheels as well as land in crap.

At which point, you will be screaming CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The airplane has a huge knob at the aft end of the center pedestal. With said knob, you simply dialed in the correct amount of crab angle for the main gear. You then simply landed in a crab, with the main gear at the set angle off centerline.

SPIKE
Jakebud, Murphy's Law being what it is, I've always wondered if, after a very long mission, someone ever dialed the correction in the wrong direction. I imagine that would lead to a sporty ride on touchdown.

from boeing:
Slideslip/zero crab is not allowed when X-wind/flaps
15kts/15 flaps
18kts/30
21kts/40

Latest resources

Back