A step in the right direction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NYRANGERS

I hope all the majors go along with this one. Gotta love Mike Boyds statement (last paragraph). At least one analyst seems to get it.

American Airlines sets fare hike, United matches
May 09, 2003 4:17:00 PM ET

By David Bailey

CHICAGO, May 9 (Reuters) - American Airlines and United Airlines, the two largest U.S. air carriers, on Friday said they will raise all nonsale domestic fares by $5 each way starting June 1 as carriers look for ways to stop huge losses.

Neither airline identified the reason for the increase, though it goes into effect the same day passenger security fees will be suspended temporarily under a government relief plan set to help airlines weather a travel slump from the war with Iraq.

American, a unit of AMR Corp. (AMR) and the world's largest air carrier, on Thursday raised all published fares within the United States and Canada by $5 one-way and $10 roundtrip for travel on June 1 and later, a spokeswoman said.

Bankrupt United, the No. 2 U.S. air carrier and a UAL Corp. (UALAQ) unit, matched the increase, a spokesman said.

Other large U.S. airlines, including Delta Air Lines (DAL), the No. 3 U.S. air carrier, Northwest Airlines Corp. (NWAC), the No. 4 U.S. air carrier, had not matched the hike by Friday afternoon, leaving doubt as to whether it will stick.

"It effectively covers everyday leisure fares, but there are so many sales that it probably doesn't mean that much," Bestfares.com chief executive Tom Parsons said. "We will have to see how Northwest reacts and how the public reacts."

U.S. airlines have reported billions of dollars of losses since the September 2001 hijack attacks. The war with Iraq and the pneumonia-like SARS virus, or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, added to airline woes in recent weeks.

The government relief plan includes $2.4 billion in cash reimbursements to airlines for security costs and extends government-backed war risk insurance for one year, saving about $600 million. It also suspends passenger security fees from June 1 through September 30, about $520 million in fees.

"(The suspension) does give airlines some leeway (to raise fares) because there are limited consumer dollars out there," aviation consultant Michael Boyd said, adding that airlines need to get every dollar they possibly can at this point.

"The consumer has to understand that air transportation will have to get more expensive, not less expensive, or you won't have an air transportation system at all," Boyd said. (Additional reporting by John Crawley in Washington) REUTERS

© 2003 Reuters

5 dollars.. are they kidding.. just look on yahoo.. and heck.. I wouldn't even notice if they added $50 with the spread of the price differences.

b

Hey, it's a start...the travelling public is just going to have to accept the fact that they are not going to be able to go coast to coast for $99 nonstop, round trip. Let them call Greyhound or Amtrak if that's what they're expecting.

USAirways, Delta and Continental have tried to raise their fares several times but Northwest has blocked each attempted raise.

Watch NW block this attempt and ask their workforce for additional pay concessions or more furloughs.

If they do...somethings up.:confused:

Greyhound?

thats a laugh.....

One of the guys did a comparison on ATL-LAX route for round trip

Delta 216
Airtran 213
Jetblue 216

drum roll

Grey Hound 318 2 days and 13 hours

These numbers are not exact to the penny, but darn close from what I remember. Competing with Greyhound? Not even close.

OK..... fight on..........

I believe you just made my point. The $99 number was pulled out of my arse, but the point remains the same. You should never be able to fly somewhere more cheaply than you can ride Greyhound or Amtrak. This is one of the reasons that the airlines are in such deep trouble and why we all will be working for Wal-Mart wages if the trend does not reverse quickly.

Oh well...as another author stated in another post, "blah, blah, blah."

Dress code

It is absolutely ridiculous what the price of air travel has done to the appearace of most passengers. I dont expect people to travel in formal wear, but something better than a hairy guy in a stained tank top, with cut off jean shorts and sandals would be nice. I just saw this one the otherday in LAX. Just plain obnoxious.

You're 100% correct except it's not the price of air travel that's "done it to the passengers", but rather that the price has taken trailer trash off the Greyhound and put them in the airplane.

The passengers that fall into the category you accurately describe haven't changed, they've always been the way they are. They just didn't ride on airplanes before. Now that they've been welcomed into the fold, the respectables that can afford to pay a profit making fare have gone elsewhere. When you stay in bubba's motel and dine at the all-you-can-eat palace, you can expect to meet bubba in the bread line and share your bedding with a bug or two. With the prices we charge today it won't be much longer before the government will be issusing "air stamps" along with food stamps.

Pax

This is why I like flying boxes. . . . and hate commercial deadheading. . . . . .

I deadheaded on NWA from MEM - IND last week, in uniform. I had my great big FED EX employee ID hanging around my neck on a purple rope. I was on my way to a nice relaxing week of hotel standby. . . .

As we were getting off the airplane, one of the passengers who had been sitting right in front of me the whole flight and exited behind me catches up as we're getting off the jetway. He looks me up and down and says " I guess YOU"RE done with your 20 hours of work this week!!". . . . I give him my best "I think you forgot your medication" look, then realize that this guy thinks that **I** was flying the airplane!!

About 5 good replies came to my mind immediately, but out of respect for my pax carrying buddies, I told him that I actually put in an honest 40 flying hours every week and I was just getting off the plane for a lunch break. I wasn't even going to try to explain what deadheading is or that his FedEx package doesn't travel across the country via Star Trek transporter technology. He gave me a half understanding "Oh. . ." and then I broke left and disapeared into the crowd.

OK guys, now I've started the rumor. It's up to you guys to run with it!!

Latest resources

Back