Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
A single pilot's actions are coming home to roost: (AOPA e-pilot)

RUMORS FLY ABOUT CHANGES TO WASHINGTON TFR
Federal authorities tell AOPA that various agencies are considering changes to the TFR around Washington, D.C., in reaction to the GA aircraft incursion last week near the White House and perceived threats against the nation's capital for the Independence Day weekend. Unconfirmed rumors indicate that the TFR might be expanded from 15 nm up to 40 nm, ranging from IFR only operations to a total ban on all GA flights. Government sources contacted by AOPA will only confirm that discussions are under way. "The association strongly believes that continued GA access to airspace must be balanced against reasonable security concerns. We will continue to be the strongest advocate for the protection of general aviation activities," said AOPA President Phil Boyer.

Last edited:
If this actually happens, that guy may want to think about disappearing for awhile. He may have f*cked a lot of people with his stupidity.

For aggiepilot87 and dlwdracos: See how you can effect other's right to fly by the way you choose to fly - and eventually your own "rights". We are all in this together - C-152s to BBJs.

Many tout GA threat as being low. However, it only takes one or two incursions to severely damage the industry. I've heard all sorts of whining about security measures and requirements for GA. But think about it. A "terrorist" (read, fifteen year old kid) need only do something once to cause irreparable damage to the industry with the flight restrictions that will follow.

The measures that are being applied and that are in a constant flux of change, are protective, not restrictive.

I don't care to see TFR's expanded. However, unless controls are put on GA traffic to restrict the liklihood of events such as this happening again, we're going to see some serious restrictions to our flying freedoms coming down the pike. I certainly don't want to see that. Does anybody?

I'm spending most of my time at the DZ lately. A few days ago we were visited by two soldiers, part of a detachment providing security to a military installation nearby. These folks have been here for nearly a year, with no problems. Just lately they've been closely approached by several different light aircraft, including one that deployed jumpers directly adjacent to the perimeter. A vehicle collected the jumpers immediately, and disappeared.

None of the aircraft they described fit anything in this area. One of the soldiers was with an intelligence batallion, and the other was part of an infantry unit which is providing the bulk of the security. The infantry officer confided that he's about to be rotated out, and really hopes he doesn't have to shoot anybody on his watch. He said that each aircraft ended up in the gunsights of someone manning a .50 during the incursions. Everyone at the DZ said the same thing...shoot them, next time. Perhaps it WILL get the point across.

This isn't one of those areas that's easy to miss. It's the biggest stockpile of chemical weapons in the world, and easily identified. It's adjacent to some very sensitive areas which are obviously all at a heightened state of security of late. What bone brain would be stupid enough to go testing the softness of their defenses, like that? Serves them right if they get shot.

With all the charts avialiable combined with GPS and everything else that we have here in the U.S. there is no excuse. If there is an incursion it should be determined that it is deliberate and they should be taken out.

I think what this boils down to is an obvious need for cockpit monkeys. I realize that this concept still hasn't taken off as it should, but think of the benifits. Obviously the risk of getting shot down isn't much of a deterrent. However, if all pilots were required to fly with cockpit monkeys, then the threat of getting it taken away might have a much more pronounced effect.

People get attached to pets. Even stinky, obnoxious ones. If the Federal government would put together a Federal Primate Bureau to deal with this issue, an effective means of applying limitations to monkey privileges could be had. Pilots who fail to obey the law would then be required to submit their monkey for revocation or suspension, and nobody wants that.

Threaten to shoot a man, and he will just find another way to assert himself. Threaten to take away his monkey, and watch him cower in fear. The government need only find the right approach. Shootdowns aren't cutting it.

Monkeys. They're not just for jungles, any more. The way of the future.

cvsfly said:
For aggiepilot87 and dlwdracos: See how you can effect other's right to fly by the way you choose to fly - and eventually your own "rights".

You never read what I said, obviously. I recognize this. I know this. I said punnish violators severely. I believe people ought to be held totally accountable for their actions.

We are all in this together - C-152s to BBJs.

I disagree with you, cvsfly. Groups like the Air Transport Association and Int'l ATA are working (very effectively, IMO) to more thoroughly regulate and restrict GA. GA is viewed by these groups as a major hindrance to commerical air transport, therefore a group to be acted against. They lobby the federal govt and work to have their policies enacted which would essentially restrict GA to near non existance. It's just business, and theirs is promoting commercial air transportation. AOPA and AIA (and EAA to a much smaller degree) are the *only* groups on the side of GA. That's just the way it is.

But fortunately, GA has access to airports and airspace, for now. This won't last forever. Incidents like those that sparked this debate and others to come, overly eager journalists, lazy reactive politicians, etc. will eventually hammer GA (particularly, non-business GA) out of existance. It may be 40, 20 or even 10-years from now, but it will go away I'm convinced.

Enjoy it while you can.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back