• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

April 14, 2008, 12:30 pm
A Shutout of Northwest’s Pilots

Posted by Heidi N. Moore, WSJ Online

Well, that pesky struggle for dominance seems to be tilting heavily toward Delta Air Lines in the merger talks between Delta and Northwest Airlines.

Delta, Northwest and their respective pilots’ unions have been tussling over the issue of how pilots should be ranked and promoted in the event the two companies combine. Delta’s pilots want the combined staffs to adhere to their system; Northwest’s pilots want theirs. The two airlines considerately tried to work out the issue before announcing any deal, but, like many other good ideas in the airline industry, that seems to have fallen by the wayside. Northwest first proposed pushing the talks about seniority until after any merger, just to get a deal done; the possibility remains of the two airlines going ahead without the blessing of their pilots.

Delta remains in talks with its 6,000 unionized pilots about a contract that would cover them after the merger–and only them. That can’t be going over well with Northwest’s pilots, who were feeling left out of this whole process already–not the least because it was their own airline that suggested going ahead without the pilots’ agreement. The pilots’ spokesman, Dave Stevens, said a deal has to be “in the interests of NWA pilots, customers and employees” in order to avoid “vigorous opposition.”

It is going to be tough for the Northwest pilots to maintain negotiating leverage. Delta appears to be approaching this deal more as a takeover than a merger, and it has long tried to maintain the upper hand in the on-again, off-again negotiations. Delta even set out six principles any deal would have to meet, including that Delta’s seniority rules, pension plans and headquarters prevail in the deal.

It isn’t clear what Northwest’s pilots might be planning next, but with a deal announcement expected as early as Tuesday, they will have to be thinking fast.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Dejavu all over again...

I wish all you guys the best of luck with this deal, but for the pilots it really seems to be going the way of US Airways-AWA. :eek:

I only counted five:

• that the [combined] airline be called Delta, headquartered in Atlanta;
• that the seniority of our people is protected;
• that the pension plans of our employees and retirees are maintained;
• that the network is strengthened and our plans for international expansion are accelerated;
• and, most importantly, that there is even greater job security along with more career opportunities for our people.

Dougy sells out his own people? What? Not Dougy!

Good Luck. My heart goes out to you.

Figures that you would post something like this...

April 14, 2008, 12:30 pm
A Shutout of Northwest’s Pilots

Posted by Heidi N. Moore, WSJ Online

Well, that pesky struggle for dominance seems to be tilting heavily toward Delta Air Lines in the merger talks between Delta and Northwest Airlines.

Delta, Northwest and their respective pilots’ unions have been tussling over the issue of how pilots should be ranked and promoted in the event the two companies combine. Delta’s pilots want the combined staffs to adhere to their system; Northwest’s pilots want theirs. The two airlines considerately tried to work out the issue before announcing any deal, but, like many other good ideas in the airline industry, that seems to have fallen by the wayside. Northwest first proposed pushing the talks about seniority until after any merger, just to get a deal done; the possibility remains of the two airlines going ahead without the blessing of their pilots.

Delta remains in talks with its 6,000 unionized pilots about a contract that would cover them after the merger–and only them. That can’t be going over well with Northwest’s pilots, who were feeling left out of this whole process already–not the least because it was their own airline that suggested going ahead without the pilots’ agreement. The pilots’ spokesman, Dave Stevens, said a deal has to be “in the interests of NWA pilots, customers and employees” in order to avoid “vigorous opposition.”

It is going to be tough for the Northwest pilots to maintain negotiating leverage. Delta appears to be approaching this deal more as a takeover than a merger, and it has long tried to maintain the upper hand in the on-again, off-again negotiations. Delta even set out six principles any deal would have to meet, including that Delta’s seniority rules, pension plans and headquarters prevail in the deal.

It isn’t clear what Northwest’s pilots might be planning next, but with a deal announcement expected as early as Tuesday, they will have to be thinking fast.

Bye Bye--General Lee

If DAL tries that tactic it will end up in arbitration, watch.
& if so, the NWA pilots will come to the arbitration in a weakened condition after their fleet gets rationalized... probably not good for you.

I have not seen any indication that Delta's MEC wants an arbitrated war with the NWA MEC. In fact, all the objective reports have indicated the Delta MEC has wanted to work with the NWA MEC in a positive way and avoid arbitration.

It will be up to the NWA pilots how they proceed. But, if they head to arbitration they give Delta no choice but to try to minimize the potential harm.

General Lee,
Why all the hate? I cant understand the reason why you have to spread hate and discontent like this. NWA and DAL are both full of great people who work for two of the greatest airlines in the world. Why do you feel a need to lash out at people who have no control over this whole ugly ride? I have been on this board for almost 10 years and I have never seen such a horrible display of unprofessionalism! I share my hangar with a few Delta guys and they are nothing like this! Please quit saturating this Forum with your unwanted rhetoric! Both sides are sick and tired of what your doing!
Thanks

....after arbitration.....do we see another USAPA type decertification movement? The dominoes are starting to fall folks.....Is Herndon even aware? Maybe someone should call the Reston McCormick and Schmicks and tell them....

Latest resources

Back