Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A response from everyone would be great!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MATH DOES NOT PLAY MUCH IF ANY ROLL IN BEING A PROFESSIONAL PILOT. IN THIS DAY OF FLYING THE FMS, IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO HAVE A GOOD HANDLE ON DATA ENTRY, ON GOOD STUDY HABITS, AND UNDERSTANDING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. THE RUDIMENTARY MATH THAT WE USE , SUCH AS FIGURING HOW FAR AROUND A DME ARC WE ARE OR FIGURING 2 TIMES YOUR ALTITUDE = YOUR DME OR 3 TIMES YOUR DME = YOUR ALTITUDE ON A DESCENT PROFILE CAN EASILY BE DONE BY A 3RD GRADER. WHAT IT TAKES IS LOTS OF CONFIDENCE IN YOUR ABILITY AND DOGGED DETERMINATION. GO FOR IT

RM7599:

"It has always been my understanding that you have to be a math wizard to make it in this industry....is that the case?? "

Absolutely not, I am the farthest thing from a math wizard and somehow I have made a decent career out of flying. Fortunately, I found a college degree that only required one semester of Calculas and two of Physics. I don't believe I have ever used any of the Calculas and have only used the Physics indirectly in helping to understand something. The most difficult math you will find in aviation is in the book " Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators " which can be found at most General Aviation retail shops. Many airline pilots have read that, not so they could do the formulas, but so they can understand some basic aerodynamic principles.

"I have never had trouble with math, but I simply don't know what an airline pilot or GA pilot is subjected to on a daily basis."

Here are some examples: Avgas weighs 6 lbs. per gallon and you have a 40 gallons. How much does that weigh ? Stepping up to a turbine, jet fuel weighs 6.7 lbs. per gallon and you need to tell the fueler how many gallons to put in each side when the captain just told you we need to add 1000 pounds. The easy method for that was drop the last 0 and add half again for 150 gallons or 75 per side. Somebody already mentioned the 3 miles for each 1000 feet of descent in a jet. That is one that I constantly run through my mind even though I have FMS.

Speaking of FMS, that has taken the need for mental math almost completely out of the cockpit. Those of us who first flew in DC-9s and 727s still run stuff through our mind to double check it, but it really isn't necessary if you want to trust the box. One thing an FMS won't compute is an Equal Time Point ( sometimes known as point of no return ) for long over water legs. The computation of that is now done on the computerized flight plan. It is still good to know how to do it in case you need to double check or compute a different one than the computer thought of.

There is a book, which I have not read, called " Mental Math for Pilots" or something like that which might be worth looking through if you see one in the store.

Hope that helps,

typhoon

Pilot math concerns

Another point worth mentioning is you will use some sort of flight computer to work up your calculations. Probably an E6-B, which is a circular slide rule affair on one side and sort of plastic covered grid on the reverse for calculating wind triangles (vectors). The E-6B has conversion tables from Fahrenheit to Celsius, knots to miles per hour, and similar goodies, and which is 100% legal gouge for any FAA written! The E-6B has been around forever. You can do tons of every day aviation math computations on an E-6B, such as time and distance calculations, weight and balance calculations, descent calculations and so on. You'll learn all these things in ground school. The E-6B and a simple battery/solar calculator for arithmetic will be all you need. I've seen military pilots use E-6Bs for calculations for their big-time whiz-bang aircraft and saw it depicted in an AF flight training manual I have.

I do advocate pilots getting all the math education they can to help them understand aerodynamics and propulsion principles. However, our original poster has that background in spades and should do fine with his training.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone else...

I can't tell you how much I friggin' hate math! So far i've made it to the 135 freight/charter aviation business and haven't had any problems with math. Some mathmagicians have done all the hard work and developed all sorts of charts and graphs that are easy to read and do most of the math for you. As long as you can read these simple charts and graphs, memorize a few formulas even a chimp could learn, and do some very basic arithmatic you will do fine. The assumption that you must be very good in math in order to be a pilot is completely fase! Don't buy into that.... go learn to fly!!!

math....what's math?

i am currently a third year student in a flight program and i have rarely ever come across math that is very hard. as a matter of fact, i failed calculus in HS and am only required to take a basic college math class in college (got a c). as for the graphs and charts and all the x/c planning, the math is easily done with a calculator....which i think you know how to use since your background is math.....bottom line is if you LOVE flying, go for it.....good luck with your decision....

dew

Math?!?!?!?!

Who needs math?!?!?!?

Get a really nice calculator that can store formulas and stuff, and bam, you are a whiz at math in the aviation industry. It's that simple. Never make it harder than it really is!

Well, there seems to be an overwhelming consensus that math wizardry is not the most vital part of becoming a succesful pilot. Ok, now the hard part.....where to do my training? I truely appreciate the great responses from everyone. Maybe one day I will have the privelage of being your first officer:)........since you have the jump on me and all! Take care and look out, I may be in your airspace before long.

Where to learn to fly

That's a question about which I could write more and more or say more with less. I'll choose the second choice.

You can learn to fly at a big flight school in someplace like Florida, a medium-sized flight school, or a small flight school. You can learn to fly at your local airport at an FBO (fixed based operator), or from an instructor(s) with their own airplanes. You can learn to fly at an airline-sponsered flight school such as Comair or Mesa. You can choose any one of these options and get to an airline eventually.

Your major consideration is finding a way to fly that will provide the best quality training and value for the price. I'd begin by going to your local airport and look for flight instruction. Talk to people there, in particular instructors. Find out how they learned to fly. Then, go to the store and buy an aviation magazine(s). You'll run across tons of ads for flight schools. Also, look in the yellow pages. Call or send away for information. Most sizeable schools have web sites. Another suggestion is if you know any professional pilots who've achieved the goal you're after, ask them. Get their input. Post a query on the board about specific schools and, guaranteed, you'll receive a cross-section of opinions. At that point, you can visit schools if you choose that route and be able to make a good decision.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT. THE MATHMATICS THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ARE USUALLY THE PERFORMANCE NUMBERS FOR ANY PARTICULAR AIRCRAFT.
THEY WILL COME TO YOU IN THE FORM OF GRAPHS AND CHARTS. AT TIMES SOME INTERPOLATION IS REQUIRED.

IN THE COCKPIT MENTAL GYMNASTICS IS NOT REQUIRED. REMEMBER TO THINK AHEAD OF THE AIRPLANE, PLAN THE FLIGHT AND THINK ABOUT WHAT THE GOAL IS. FLYING IS STILL SOMEWHAT OF AN ART FORM AS WELL AS A SCIENTIFIC SKILL.

FLYING REQUIRES PRACTICE AND TIME. SIMILAR TO LEARNING TO PLAY AN INSTRUMENT. ALTHOUGH MUSIC IS MATHMATICAL YOU DO NOT NEED ALGEBRA TO PLAY A GUITAR.

IV'E BEEN FLYING FOR 16 YEARS, WENT TO MED SCHOOL FIRST.
I BELIEVED THAT I SHOULD SPEND MY WORKING LIFE DOING SOMETHING THAT I LOVE INSTEAD OF COUNTING THE CASH AT THE END OF THE DAY. I AM NOT GOING TO GET RICH DOING THIS
BUT WHEN I PUT THE GEAR DOWN FOR THE LAST TIME I DON'T THINK I WILL REGRET ANY OF THE TIME I HAVE DEDICATED TO FLIGHT.

GOOD LUCK

My rule on math...........if you cant figure it out on the Heading indicator/Altimeter you dont need to be doing it in the flight deck. By the way made it through to trigonometry with a low C, tried Calc, and failed twice. LOL. That is why I am finishing up my degree at ERAU Online.

Latest resources

Back