A Plea for longer pants

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

easydoesit

Has anyone ever noticed that about 20-30% of pilots wear pants as if they are waiting for a flood? I have always thought this to be funny. Why is it that they would never do it outside of work, but it is acceptable to look that way in airports.

Anyone have any theories on this? I just think it's funny...

Because they don't dry clean them, instead they wash them and cook those wool blends in the drier and they come out shrunk.

Funny? You should see my paycheck. After spending $2,700 on a watch, $1,000 on headsets and $500 on luggage, who has money for pants?

Just kidding, I have a $80 watch and pants that are the correct length, although the hole in the seat is an airworthy repair, fixed with carpet tape and thread sourced from a maintenance station. My flight bag is on its' second duct tape overhaul.

BTW - have any of your airlines had the big socks scam come through town? A Doctor dropped by our crew room demonstrating socks that were supposed to save you from deep vein thrombosis (on an RJ) which he had available for FREE if you would just sign some paperwork. He sent the paperwork to UHC for the "prescription" socks for some astronomical price. This did not look quite Kosher so I did not sign up for the super socks. Wonder how many bought those $1,000 socks?

Last edited:
I'd attribute it to the relatively high coefficient of dorkiness in the piloting ex-profession as a whole.

Fashion update

Has anyone ever noticed that about 20-30% of pilots wear pants as if they are waiting for a flood? ....Anyone have any theories on this? ...

Ah, yes, it's an old fighter pilot custom. Don't want them bagging up around your ankles when you pull Gs. Plus, it's easier to grab your boot knife. ;)

No changing uniforms after leaving my other job at Bestbuy as a Geek Squad Officer.

Fvck that, have you ever taken a look at the shoes of so-called airline pilots? Don't get me started!

Ah, yes, it's an old fighter pilot custom. Don't want them bagging up around your ankles when you pull Gs. Plus, it's easier to grab your boot knife. ;)

Funny but absolutely true! What is with old fighter pilots and their child size flight suits? I figured the fighter bases always ran out of larger sizes. I never realized it was a style. LOL

I just saw one of my fellow pilots on a TPA layover in the workout room wearing knee high black socks, shorts, and tennis shoes riding the stationary bike. :eek: Just think of how much space he saves in his roller bag! This guys pullin' down two bills and he can't even spring to take an extra pair of shoes on his overnights.

Latest resources

Back