a plane's blue book value

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

darien

I'm looking for a website which gives me an estimate of what a plane's true value is? Preferably one that allows me to select different features a plane may have in order to get a more accurtae idea of the plane value.

Thanks,

go to the AOPA website at www.aopa.org Then click on A/C valuation services and this will take you to vref . Vref also publishes value books(at least they used to). You will have to be a AOPA member to use. If you are not ....JOIN. its well worth the cost plus you get a nice monthly magazine. Aopa works hard to protect our flying privileges.

Also go to www.aeroprice.com

Trade-A-Plane also has this but you have to subscribe to the online service to use it. The 3 months min. isn't that expensive. Vref on AOPA tends to value certain things a bit high. Especially when it comes to avionics. They lose value quickly after being installed. So if you use the Vref service you might take 5-10% off of the value is calculates. Plane and Pilot magazine issues typical values for most GA aircraft but I think they are always ridiculously low.

Good luck,
AZPilot

The best way to determine the value of an aircraft is to track what your looking for in publications such as Trade a Plane.
This will give you a feel for what the market is on your individual choice of aircraft.(remember nothing is worth more than someone else will pay for it.) Next get very familiar with AD's and maintenence, talk to mechanics that specialize in the type of aircraft that you are considering. This will give you a feel for what you can expect in future costs, which in my opinion is a big factor in the price consideration. Dont let price guideline books or valuation services weigh to heavy on determining what youll pay.( how many times have you seen some rednecks truck in a classified with a 10" lift kit stating "blue book cost $50.000.00")
Trust me those books and services are no substitute for doing your homework. If you plan on financing your aircraft usually your lending service will let you use a mechanic familiar with the aircraft to write an estimate. My rule of thumb when purchasing aircraft is to know what it is worth within a $100.00 just by looking at the spec sheet and verifying that with a thorough buyers inspection. Trust me, if you really do your homework you wont need a valuation service or "blue book".

Latest resources

Back