Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9GClub

Hi guys,

I checked out this forum and couldn't find an answer to my question, sorry if this has already been discussed. Looking to get my A&P, and I'm trying to get a ballpark cost estimate. I know it's gonna cost a bit, but I checked out a school in northern VA, and I'm kinda skeptical about their $25k program. Granted, northern VA probably isn't the most economical place to go to school, but I know it shouldn't be that expensive. I've checked out some schools in other parts of the country and have gotten some nicer figures, but I'd be interested in hearing what kind of advice y'all have.

FYI, I'd probably be interested in full-time classwork and would like to finish up in 18 months. My eventual goal is to fly bush planes for one of several organizations that typically require an A&P.

9GClub said:
Hi guys,

I checked out this forum and couldn't find an answer to my question, sorry if this has already been discussed. Looking to get my A&P, and I'm trying to get a ballpark cost estimate. I know it's gonna cost a bit, but I checked out a school in northern VA, and I'm kinda skeptical about their $25k program. Granted, northern VA probably isn't the most economical place to go to school, but I know it shouldn't be that expensive. I've checked out some schools in other parts of the country and have gotten some nicer figures, but I'd be interested in hearing what kind of advice y'all have.

FYI, I'd probably be interested in full-time classwork and would like to finish up in 18 months. My eventual goal is to fly bush planes for one of several organizations that typically require an A&P.

25k does sound a bit steep... but I guess it depends, 18 months is about the shortest amount of time you can do it in and if that 25k includes housing and materials and tools it might not be so bad. On the other hand I think you can do it in 2 years at a community college at something like 75$ a class.

If your goal is to fly "bush planes" I would strongly suggest that you start an A&P apprenticeship and save your money to put towards earning your ratings. Hands on experience is golden. Most operators in Alaska will laugh at you if you apply with a "paper" A&P. You are correct however, an A&P will help you in any area of aviation. It's the only reason I was able to fly outside of the "lower 48" See if your current flight school will let you turn wrenches for a discount on FT while gaining hands on experience. Good luck.

Depending on where you mind living for 18 months, I'd shop around. Every A&P I know hasn't come even close to spending $25K unless they went for the big time college degrees with it.

I'm not sure of the name off hand, but there's a school in PIT that's a few thousand cheaper, and in IN there's a couple schools that are even a few thousand cheaper than that. Google may be your friend if you don't mind moving for schooling. :)

how about Tulsa?

have you checked Spartan School of Aeronautics out? you can get your A&P with or without a Associates Degree, without being cheaper and faster. also if you do not already have your private license, the ground school is free for A&P students, or atleast it was when i was there.

graduated there in 1989, good town and cost of living not bad

Peace, out.

Mine too...

Saab guy said:
have you checked Spartan School of Aeronautics out? you can get your A&P with or without a Associates Degree, without being cheaper and faster. also if you do not already have your private license, the ground school is free for A&P students, or atleast it was when i was there.

graduated there in 1989, good town and cost of living not bad

Peace, out.

Funny, I was there during the same time getting mine.

Anyway 9GClub, it is like the old lawyer saying...
What do you call someone who fails the bar exam 9 time and passes it on the 10th?
A Lawyer.

It really does not matter where you go or how much you spend (I wish I would have known this). When you get your A&P, you are an A&P.
You will find your little nich in aviation and grow your skills and experience there.

If I would have known in1988 what I know now about getting my A&P, I would have called that number on the flier taped to the soda machine at MCAS Beaufort S.C. back then and only paid $350.

DOH!

It can be free if you're a GA resident and get a HOPE Grant

It's true. If you already have a bachalor's degree, the state of Georgia will pay for your technical degree (including A&P school). This is because of the state lottery. All of the lottery money profit has to be used for educational uses, and the state wants to encourge students to get technical degrees. Check out
http://www.atlantatech.org/aviation.html

www.waynecc.edu

Tuition for 16 hours credit hours is $608 per semester for instate and $3376 per semester for those from out of state, but they only charge the out of state rate for the first year.

Latest resources

Back