• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

a p technicians

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The thing that makes me different from the "run of the mill fresh ticket A&P" is that I've got the experience (while I was working on my A&P through a part 147 school) as the mechanics apprentice thing. So I've done the obligatory oil changes, hundred hours, tire changes, and all that basic A&P stuff outside of school.

I've also worked in aircraft restoration, so I'm quite comfortable with sheetmetal work above and beyond any I've seen in GA shops.

I've worked as a handyman maintaining a dozen buildings, five automobiles, two buses, a tractor, etc... (it's not like I can't fix stuff).

Add to that my degree, so I can engineer any structural work (instead of using the repair charts in AC43.13--which are inefficient, and incorrect in this -1B), I can do just about anything you want with the EFIS, EICAS, ARINC 429, 629, etc...

I don't know if that is normal stuff for someone who got the A&P as an apprentice or not, but I know how I stack up to people who go to 147 schools (very favorably). I know it sounds like I've got a chip on my shoulder up there, but I really don't. I'm not looking (as all my classmates are/were) for a supervisory job making $75,000 a year, I've been looking for the still-can't-afford-the-new-radiator-for-my-truck job. Am I way off base here or something?

I think it's just that I don't know any A&Ps here (in my hometown no less). I think that would change real quick if any of the guys I knew (before I went off to college) were still here. I just don't have a reputation with anyone here (yet).

Dan

Av-you're thinking of the same place. He was interested in my flying around parts

Dan,

All I can tell you is to keep trying.

Your prior experience doing other types of maintenance certainly isn't wasted, but isn't going to be seen as particularly valueable as an aircraft mechanic. There are some exceptions; the firm where you mentioned applying picked up a particularly valueable mechanic with a background as an auto body man; he could planish and english wheel and fiberglass about anything, and paint. In his case, it was a big boon.

For engineering purposes, unless you have a DAR, then adhere very closely to the manufacturers approved data and FAA publications, even if you think you can do it better. Trying to do it better, or work outside the approved data, is the quickest way to become unemployed I know of, short of decking the boss. (Haven't tried it yet, but have certainly been tempted). Employment aside, it's a sure way to run afoul of the FAA and the courts, so avoid that at all costs.

Your prior experience working while going to A&P school is helpful, but more for your own benifit than as a selling point to an employer. The facility you visited, for example, is a repair station that employes a large number of uncertificated mechanics. Many of these individuals, even without certification, will have far more experience in heavy maintenance and other areas than any 147 graduate, and will be extremely qualified when going for their practical test. If your prior experience had been cylinder changes, mag timing, structural repairs, and the like, it would be far more significant than oil changes and rotating tires (which are really preventative maintenance, as opposed to the real nitty gritty).

Approach employers very humbly. It feels like you have lots of experience right now, but an employer will NOT see it that way. Coming to a shop looking for work with the attitude that you're heads and shoulders above the next guy, will seem like a 600 hour commercial pilot seeking work claiming to be "high time." You see my point.

Keep beating the bushes. The work will be there. Don't worry about that. It may take some time, but it's there. Make sure you send a follow up letter to Mr. Mikus or Dubry, and tell them you're still interested, and would like every consideration. Then keep following up. They are always hiring, and you'll get more experience, and more diverse experience at that one place, than any other place in this country...because there is no other place remotely close to being like it. Good luck!!

Actually, I don't mention any of that when I talk to anyone. It's always "Got any experience?" "Pretty much no, sir." It' kinda funny, all the stuff you mentioned would be more valuable than that which I mentioned is stuff I've done lots of as well (but I figured that was just a fluke, I mean, how many airplanes out ther need that many cylinder changes?) I guess I figured they'd care about the real typical preventative maintenance stuff more as an indicator of I-don't-know-what. Shows how much I know :)

But I'm not really at all impatient. I've always got the handyman job I can go back to (pays pretty much nothing, but it's a TON of fun), and the FBO I worked at in the past is trying to make room for me (without me saying I was looking for a job no less). I'm not really sure that I want to work full time as an A&P right now either, but I really haven't decided that either. Who knows..I sure don't..and don't really want to (what fun would life be if we knew all the answers?)

I thank you for the words of encouragement though, I know everyone was young once (they've just forgotten what it was like :) ).

I'll definately be sending letters to them, at least they gave me a "shot" even with my obviously very low experience. And now I have some idea who to talk to if/when I get more experience.

Dan

Good luck. By the by...if you do end up working there, you'll be doing a LOT of cylinder changes. Those engines don't take many hours of flying without requiring a change, or an engine change, from time to time. If you get a chance to fly parts, do so, and you'll be turning wrenches quite a bit too. I hope it works out for you!

Thanks!

It'll be a while before I'll do that no matter what (at least a year, probably a few if I get the job I think I will now). Either way, it sure sounded like fun to me. And amazingly, I figured I'd be a wrench turning a lot more than throttle pushing, but what he said was "if we're really slow you can do some Mx, but otherwise the priority would be to fly." Wierd eh?

Wheee, life is good. I have a strong possibility of working at an auto museum here in town too. Ahh the turns life takes when we start talking to people.

Dan

Latest resources

Back