A Little FedEx Info (Very Little)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Falconjet

I recently overheard a management pilot say that we have 60 people in the pool currently, and that flight management was trying to convince company management that we needed to bring them onboard. Revenue is tight these days and there is of course resistance to bringing on new hires while things are slow. He mentioned that flight management was hoping to bring an additional 100 pilots in this year, which as I understood it was in addition to the 60 already in the pool. He didn't sound optimistic at all that we would actually get to hire that many, but that was what flight management was asking for. No word on when the new hire classes and interviews would resume.

Some retirement numbers which might interest some:

2003: 83
2004: 76
2005: 128
2006: 162
2007: 170

These are off the website and were updated in May 02.

There hasn't been much news on the board about the Purple and Orange in a while so I thought this might be of interest to some.

FJ

It's a little intel, yes. But thanks for it!!! I wasn't aware of the actual retire numbers, somewhat comforting...

-Thunderchief

Thanks, FJ. There's nothing quite so deafening as the sounds of silence these days. Anything with the words "FedEx" and "info" in it good stuff...

Still floating

I'll second what Falconjet said. I was in the AOC yesterday and heard that we had around 10 DC10 second officers get called up to military duty in the last week. I've also noticed a lot more open time available for march for DC10 SO's. I'm not sure how many pilots from the other fleets have been called up but 10 guys gone in one week, and certainly more to go in the next few weeks, will put some strain on the system. Hopefully the bean-counters will give the green light for resuming new hire classes soon. Hang in there poolies.

NightFlyer

If it's any comfort, in Feb. I missed a hard line by 1 number(727 FE), but in March I got a hard line, along with 8 people below me. And I've never heard so many MD-11 rumors as in the last couple of weeks - buying more, more MD-10 conversions, more A-310's. good luck to all.

Falconjet, Nightflyer and Huck,

Thanks guys for the update, you're right it has been quiet on the board. Sure hope flight management is successful in getting something going soon.

I can attest to what the other purple and orange guys are saying as well. As a 727 LCA (not that means anything), we have heard nothing new about upcoming classes. However, the IOE instructors should be amoung the first to find out. I will say that the MD-10/11 program is the crown jewel of the company and more DC-10 aircraft are being converted and MD-11s being purchased. Not exactly sure what that means for the crew force numbers but it can't be bad. My guess is like others (who are hiring), FedEx will want to see how this big unknown (read revenue) plays out with current world events. Hang in there guys, you're on the list and you will come to "Graceland" soon enough.

Just got an email from a friend of mine who is hoping to get an interview (already has his app in) when things start back up. Last week a Capt he knows got him into the inner circle and if he actually spoke to half of the names he gave me he was definitely taking to the BIG HITTERS. Not sure how his Capt friend got him into see these guys but he's the first I've heard of that got in prior to the interview. Anyway, he said that he was told 100 hires in 2003 in addition to the 60 or so in the pool. Those are the same numbers that have been floating around the rumor mill for months. As far as when the classes will start a lot depends on how many guys get called to defend freedom and the economy (no surprise there). The good news is if you’re in the pool just hang on, it will happen. If you’re waiting for an interview I heard that you need to update your application via the web site to show activity. Not sure how often you need to do it but it couldn't hurt to "visit" your application every month or so. Just update the hours or phone contacts, etc. If I do hear anything that may help anyone I'll pass it along. Good Luck all.

Not sure how his Capt friend got him into see these guys but he's the first I've heard of that got in prior to the interview.

Hit the cafeteria during lunch hour and you'll see this occasionally. Also probably explains the fighters and trainers you see sometimes, sitting in transient parking at the MEM FBO.

Not so sure how it will help in the interview, though.... Maybe in the face-to-face.

Last edited:
Huck, or anyone...
I have a question about the FEW. I took my FEW two years ago and I think that it expires after two years. I also heard that if you are currently flying for a 121 Airline (Air Wisconsin), your FEW does not expire. Just curious because I will have to retake my FEW before I start class.
Thanks
Rich Huck (Poolie)

Latest resources

Back