• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A justifiable gripe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yesterday i was flying in the soup, through a mighty level 2 rainstorm, getting vectors to final for the GPS 29 approach into new smyrna beach.

Your pedigree shows your experience as all Cessna 172...were you doing this in the Cessna?

If so, this begs the question, what were you doing there?

avbug said:
Your pedigree shows your experience as all Cessna 172...were you doing this in the Cessna?

If so, this begs the question, what were you doing there?

He was shooting the GPS 29 approach at New Smyrna?

He was shooting the GPS 29 approach at New Smyrna?

I believe that's what he said.

Why the climbing turn? Why not just do the 360 where you were? You said you had "broken out," that you were in the clear. Especially if you're concerned about returning to IMC...why not just make the turn where you are?

Being the lowest and closest on approach, you should have had the right of way. The King Air should have gone around, barring a safety of flight situation. You may not have had all the facts that the controller had.

If it were a distasteful situation that were bugging me, I'd pay the tower a visit and ask the controller about the decision. Ask him what he'd have preferred you do, and tell him how you feel about doing it. You both might learn something.

If making that 360 presents a safety issue for you, then most certainly "unable" is an appropriate response.

Who is pilot in command?

Latest resources

Back