• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Headset for both Turboprops and Jets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anybody use Lightspeed headsets in the ERJ/CRJ? I didn't know you could use Bose in 121 ops, heard somewhere a while back a headset had to be TSO'd to be used in the 121 world and didn't know anything other than Sennheiser was.

I recommend the David Clark H10-13X, I've had nothing but success with it.

I do not recommmend a Lightspeed, I had one that broke 4 times in 2 years, but fortunately they have good customer service and refunded all of my money after that time.

Regarding the Bose X, I have heard (heresay of course):

1. They are not very durable.
2. You have little passive protection if the batteries run out.
3. Of course, it is around $1,000 (vs. $600 for the DC)

Here is where I found the cheapest headsets (and lots of other equip.):

http://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/index.htm

Whatever you do, if you get into noise cancelling the way to go is rechargeable nickel metal hydride (not nickel cadmium) batteries, they will keep your long-term costs way down.

BoilerUP said:
Anybody use Lightspeed headsets in the ERJ/CRJ? I didn't know you could use Bose in 121 ops, heard somewhere a while back a headset had to be TSO'd to be used in the 121 world and didn't know anything other than Sennheiser was.

I use a 25XL in the RJ. It works well but its so darn bulky it takes some effort to get it into and out of my flight bag. When compared to the non-ANR DC 13.4 that I have I like the lightspeed better but its just too big.

I'm going to get the uflymike setup over xmas and see what its all about. There was another flightinfo'er that recently bought a bose, then tried the uflymike and QC2's, and sold the bose.

About the TSO thing; I did a little research on it and my airline doesn't require any specific headset, just one with a boom mic.

VAPOR-
http://www.grandcanyonaerial.com/images/tnails/DSC00443.jpg

That isn't Agaltha (sp?) peak over by Navajo Mtn is it? It's either that or Shiprock, and I don't remember a smaller peak near shiprock, plus its more ragged on the bottom.

~wheelsup

Last edited:
Don't really believe it's necessary to wear the same headset in both types but would recommend the Sennheiser.:cool:

I use the Lightspeed 30-3g, I've had lightspeed for years. The noise cancelling is great, but like others have posted, the durability is lacking. I have to send mine back about once a year. I use them in a Beechjet and King Air and they work great, but they are bulky. I love the Bose, but don't love the price. Has anyone used the new magnesium, "In the ear" lightspeeds? I love the music input feature of the lightspeeds, I use that all the time.

VAPOR said:
Regarding the Bose X, I have heard (heresay of course):

1. They are not very durable.
2. You have little passive protection if the batteries run out.
3. Of course, it is around $1,000 (vs. $600 for the DC)
1. I've had mine less than a year, had a problem and they repaired it and replaced my ear seals. It was out for a couple days.
2. I've been getting 100 hours out of the batteries and passive alone is enough for the CRJ, probably not so for a prop.
3. They have free financing for a year to help with the sticker shock.

I broke down last week and ordered the Bose. I should have them tomorrow!!! My non ANR David Clarks were great until I started instructing 5 hrs a day!!!

Alin10123 said:
Any updates with the Clarity Alofts after wearing them for a while?
Have you compared them to the bose?

thanks

500+ hours in a year, 10 hours max in a day...still pretty comfy.

As far as the Bose comparison, there isn't one...wore a Bose today in the Hawker and it SUCKED!

Fly safe!

David

jetpilotjay said:
I use the Lightspeed 30-3g, I've had lightspeed for years. The noise cancelling is great, but like others have posted, the durability is lacking. I have to send mine back about once a year. I use them in a Beechjet and King Air and they work great, but they are bulky. I love the Bose, but don't love the price. Has anyone used the new magnesium, "In the ear" lightspeeds? I love the music input feature of the lightspeeds, I use that all the time.

I just bought the Mach 1s. They just arrived today. I won't have a chance to try them until tomorrow. I'll post what I find. So far, though, I'm impressed. They're very lightweight and very comfortable. However, if that's not what you're looking for, I recommend the Sennheiser HMEC-25KAS. Great for turboprops and jets (BE-90, SF-340 and E-145). They do make your ears a little sore after a while and eat batteries. I went with the Mach 1s for the music input.

MauleSkinner said:
500+ hours in a year, 10 hours max in a day...still pretty comfy.

As far as the Bose comparison, there isn't one...wore a Bose today in the Hawker and it SUCKED!

Fly safe!

David

Eeeer... i'm confused. You said that there's no comparison to Bose. But then you went on to say that the Bose sucks?

Can you elaborate a little please?

thanks

Latest resources

Back