A Headset for both Turboprops and Jets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cookmg

Are there any ANR headsets that will work well in both a noisy turboprop cockpit as well as a pure jet? Do all airline and corporate jet crews use lightweight headsets? Are these impractical or ineffective in an old beech turboprop? Just looking for something to last me for the long haul?

Thanks.

I still use the same pair of non-ANR Dave Clark's that I bought for my first flight lesson. It's worked great in every piston, t-prop and jet I've flown.

I continue to use Bose X ANR headsets. I've used them in the noisiest of turboprops and pistons and in turbojets - cannot be beat!

DruDown

Sennheiser HMEC 25's. Both active and passive noise reduction. So quiet in the 737 I'm constantly falling asleep. Well, more than I did when I was using my Telex 5x5'. I've got the stereo version, so I can drown out the crying babies and their children and listen to my iPod in the back of the airplane in peace.

Bose X!

In the jet, my padnah wears the 'kewl jetpilot type', and I wear my Bose X.

Check the A/P volume settings at any stage of our flights, and I have mine WAY down, his is almost at 3/4 UP. Last flight, we swapped seats and I kept my headset..... as we are taxiing out he says, "why can't I hear anything?", this after I had done half the checklists, got the atis, clearance, taxi instructions! His volume was just too low! (it was still set on 'my' setting after we swapped seats) And he ain't deaf if you are thinking that.
I have used the Bose X in piston turboP and jets to my utter delight. I have rigged them to run off an ordinary 9v alkaline battery.

Last edited:
You might give the Clarity Aloft headset a try. I bought a pair a couple weeks ago and they work great in both GA Pistons and jets. I've used them in a Citation and also a Piper Saratoga. Haven't tried them in the King Air yet, but sure they'll work fine. Just a thought.

SigAV8R said:
You might give the Clarity Aloft headset a try. I bought a pair a couple weeks ago and they work great in both GA Pistons and jets. I've used them in a Citation and also a Piper Saratoga. Haven't tried them in the King Air yet, but sure they'll work fine. Just a thought.

Any updates with the Clarity Alofts after wearing them for a while?
Have you compared them to the bose?

thanks

I got a report about Bose X's picking up background noise in the CRJ and producing a low 'humming' sound similar to a "C" chord. Has anyone experienced this?

~wheelsup

Latest resources

Back