A few questions for the Jet Blue pilots on this forum

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PCL_128 said:
Of course, and I haven't suggested that you do so. There is no danger of your business suffering any "harm" here. You work for a profitable company, and as such, the company has the ability to pay you a fair wage that doesn't undercut the rest of the industry and force us into tough bargaining positions. If your company was on the brink of financial ruin then I certainly wouldn't expect you to demand higher rates on the EMB flying, but with steady profits for years Jetblue can certainly pay you the going rate for 100-seat flying without any risk to profitability.

There isn't any succesful precedent here at all. All you've done is give management at other companies the ammo to say "If you want to keep the flying, then you'll have to do it for JetBlue rates. The JetBlue pilots don't seem to mind it. In fact, they defend it!" Besides, you haven't even managed to really secure the flying at your own airline. Without a union and a CBA with scope, JetBlue can send those airplanes to another bidder anytime they want if you guys start complaining about the rates and mentioning a union. They have just managed to hold something else over your head to keep the union talk at bay. Again, no matter how much you polish that turd, it's still a turd.

i guess you havent seen what happen to the ALPA REPRESENTED PILOTS at TRANS STATES AIRLINES. they did not agree to the 70 seat pay rates and guess what happened??? GJS.

so much for their CBA that stated all flying will be done by TRANS STATES ALPA PILOTS...................

Hello pot...meet kettle.

PCL_128 said:
Again, no matter how much you polish that turd, it's still a turd.

You mean like paying for training or buying your job at Gulfstream PCL_128?

Interesting how you're spouting off about the evils of the industry (with pay and benefits) and what should be done, when in fact the very root of the problem is SJS and people willing to work for nothing. This is the very same thing you jumpstarted your own career with. After a hefty payment by into their bank account.

As long as there are pilots that subscribe to those like yourself, management will always have a pool of dolts to replace the current pilot force.

Just think, right now there is probably someone at Gulfstream just drooling over your job right now and would do it for half price.

What goes around comes around kiddo.

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity, PCL 128 where did you get your BE1900 time?

PCL_128 said:
Of course, and I haven't suggested that you do so. There is no danger of your business suffering any "harm" here. You work for a profitable company, and as such, the company has the ability to pay you a fair wage that doesn't undercut the rest of the industry and force us into tough bargaining positions. If your company was on the brink of financial ruin then I certainly wouldn't expect you to demand higher rates on the EMB flying, but with steady profits for years Jetblue can certainly pay you the going rate for 100-seat flying without any risk to profitability.

Nobody knows that. Nobody has ever successfully deployed a 100-seat airliner in an LCC model. It's never been done. The idea is to start out with a wage that will almost certainly work, then raise it once we get some operational experience on the plane and have some hard data. That is far preferable to starting too high, just so PCL_128 won't be mad at us anymore, then having to lower it, even a little bit if the plane doesn't perform to expectations. They never want to have to cut pay or jobs, for any reason.

BTW, we didn't make any money for 2005, so it's not like we're swimming in profits. There's more going on here than you know, so your vote doesn't count. In short, you don't know jack about the operation or the factors involved. Rightly so, you only focus on what affects you. But I'm getting tired of arguing with uninformed bomb throwers, so you'll have to have the last word. I'm done here.

There isn't any succesful precedent here at all. All you've done is give management at other companies the ammo to say "If you want to keep the flying, then you'll have to do it for JetBlue rates. The JetBlue pilots don't seem to mind it. In fact, they defend it!" Besides, you haven't even managed to really secure the flying at your own airline. Without a union and a CBA with scope, JetBlue can send those airplanes to another bidder anytime they want if you guys start complaining about the rates and mentioning a union. They have just managed to hold something else over your head to keep the union talk at bay. Again, no matter how much you polish that turd, it's still a turd.

The successful precedent I refer to is showing that you can run a successful operation with a high quality product, hopefully make money at it, all without outsourcing to the lowest bidder. That should interest you mightily. Or do you work for one of the lowest bidder, code sharing leeches? Sucks to be you, then.

Boeingman said:
Just think, right now there is probably someone at Gulfstream just drooling over your job right now and would do it for half price.

Probably so. There's one big difference between an industry newbie at GIA and a pilot at JetBlue though: the GIA newbie doesn't know any better, but the JetBlue pilot does. The GIA pilot doesn't realize how he's harming the industry because he's too new to everything to be involved in the union politics and such. The JetBlue pilot knows that he is harming the careers of pilots at other airlines, but says "it's not my problem."

727RedTails said:

GIA. I thought that was common knowledge around here.

PCL: it seems that B6's domestic per diem rate ($2.00/hr) is greater than that of American, Continental, Delta, Northwest and United.

Why does not the all-powerful ALPA match our per diem rate? Will JetBlue Raises the Bar be the headline in Air Line Pilot magazine? If we get the union you so much want us to have can we expect a reduction in per diem rates down to industry average? Would a union allow a JetBlue Express to fly the E-Jets outside our seniority system?

PCL 128 you knew exactly what you were getting into when you gave $18,000 to that airline, in order to fly revenue passengers around. Don't use the excuse that you were some "newbie" and didn't know. Common sense can figure out what is happening. You are the biggest hippocrate on this board.

Jetblue pilots need to stop rationalizing their horrible 100-seat pay rates with statements of upgrade potention. Seriously Jetblue guys, shut up on that garbage.

Latest resources

Back