Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So is:
  • commuting (don't commute)
  • crappy benefits (my benefits aren't bad)
  • lack of growth (the future growth at NJ could be just as marginal)
  • little retirement (our retirement is above average for a regional)
  • working on narrow margins (always subject to change)
  • poor relationships with management (our relationship was good until the profit margins dropped. Can happen anywhere)
  • instability of the airlines (aviation's a gamble, enjoy the upswing)
  • mergers (also could happen anywhere)
  • ALPA National (agreed)
  • lack of bases to choose from (I live in base)
  • airport terminals (from what I understand you guys spend a fair amount of time there as well. I am not that particular)
  • airport food (depends on the airport, I work at variety and pack food)
  • airline food (all we get are pretzels)
  • lack or respect from management (always subject to change)
  • lack of respect from your peers (I'm not sure this is limited to the airlines. I don't see that at my airline)
  • lack of respect from passengers (I respect my passengers and they as a whole respond well. Are you saying all the private passengers are a bundle of fun.
  • flying to the same damn airports (we have enough variety for me although different is good)
  • being number 90 in EWR (chah-ching)
  • humping a 40 pound pubs bag (agreed, minor inconvenience for me)
  • jepps revisions (I guess I don't see this as a big deal. One leg twice a month and they are done)
  • new hires with less than 500TT (haven't had any problems so far, keeps me awake)
  • furloughs (anywhere's a gamble)
  • bankruptcy (see above)
  • sitting reserve (won't have to unless things get really bad)
  • sitting ARC/hot standby/airport appreciation (see above)
  • lack of advancement (not sure what your point is here. Once you become CA on the biggest a/c that's it, no matter where you are)
  • eight hour overnights (we are guaranteed 8 hours at the hotel and I don't see these too often. I complain about the 20 hour overnights. From what I've read NJ overnights aren't all that glorious everynight)
  • standup overnights (don't bid them)
  • crappy hotels (our hotels are actually not bad)
  • paying for your own room for training/recurrent/PC's (n/a)
  • crashpads in Queens (n/a)
  • Regionals always looking for the next handout
  • concessions (we voted them in what can I say)
  • destroyed pensions (no pension, pretty good 401 (k)
  • arguing with ops to get grew meals delivered (n/a)
  • get called to the carpet for calling fatigued
  • 13 days off after 8 years.
  • I will stop here.
The above represents commonly heard complaints from the airline industry....some are better and some are worse....some are from personal experience.

I think the glamor days of the airlines are over. It is certainly not what it used be and they are one bomb scare of attack away from dissolving...without the governments help. I flew for a great regional with a pretty good relationship with management and I am not sorry I left. I miss the people. I am new and I may have consumed mass amounts of koolaid but I have yet to talk to one person who does not like it at NJA. There are issues everywhere but I think you will less of them here. My brother has been on the 7 & 7 for about 8 years and does not mind it. He has two young kids as well. It is tough to be away but the 7 days he has at home are nice.

You make a lot of valid points and a bunch of guys are glad to get out. I enjoy flying for my regional and I have it pretty good right now so that's why my decision would be much more difficult.

Here's a question I have a baby due late this summer. Suppose I apply and suppose I interview and get hired. What's the possibility of getting time off for the baby?

There are plenty of guys here that do whatever they want, despite what the SOPs say. A lot more than my previous airline, that's for sure. It's too bad to see that check airmen are acting that way, though.

Speed..looks like you need to stay put.

Bingo.

If you enjoy mediocrity, stay at your regional.

I've done both. TRUST me. There is NO regional that comes close to offering what we have at NJA right now. NOT ONE.

Here's a question I have a baby due late this summer. Suppose I apply and suppose I interview and get hired. What's the possibility of getting time off for the baby?

My partners wife went into labor on the third day of ground school. Didnt tell anyone but me (I drove him to the airport). The next day I told the fine folks at FlightSafety...No Problem. He later called NJs, took a month off (difficult labor) and came back with no hassles.

If you are on the road when wife goes into labor, I have heard of stories when the company lets you fly YOUR jet home. Dont waste time in the terminals.

Speed,
If you need time off for the baby it's not a problem....called FMLA. When my wife was pregnant with my son she had a difficult pregnancy. I used FMLA for 5 months and when that was tapped out I was able to get a personal leave for another 7 months. There was no hesitation from the company whatsoever.

It's interesting to hear guys talk about 7 day trips as long. Even my buddy who works for a regional complains after a "long" 4 day trip. I guess it's all in what a person experiences. I go out on 10 day trips (scheduled) and routinely wind up returning home a week or more late.

At Uncle Sam Airlines... "We'll get you there... Sooner or later... Maybe."

Not ragging on anybody. I guess it's just a different perspective.

Skyward80

Our division President flew a pilot (an NJA crossover BTW) to his home airport on one of our aircraft because his wife was having life-threatening labor complications and the airlines couldn't get him home promptly enough. Answer your question?

Thanks for the insight guys. I am not into mediocrity, that's why I am asking questions. I just happen to love what I do more than the average regional captain I guess. It makes a huge difference when you live in base.

I'm sure I would like it at NJ too if I ever get there. Most of it really appeals to me and I do miss the corporate aviation life in many ways, but I also don't dislike the airline environment either. I am just weighing the pros and cons. I want to still be happy in 10 yrs, 20 yrs, you get the idea. I most likely will apply and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Most of it really appeals to me and I do miss the corporate aviation life in many ways, but I also don't dislike the airline environment either.

I'm an ex-regional guy, and this seems to me like the best of both worlds (airline and corporate). You have a stable, reliable schedule. Your vacations are bid when you want them, not when the boss wants to go (or the charter schedule is busy). Benefits are outstanding. Hotels are generally top-notch. Commuting isn't an issue.

And for those who don't commute and live in-base, remember something: bases close. Even big bases that you thought would never close! Even at major airlines and big regionals. (And in the case of my regional, I had multiple bases close out from under me. I moved three times, and still commuted because the bases kept closing!)

I am just weighing the pros and cons.

That's the right way to do it!

Good luck with your search for the right job for ya. ;)

Latest resources

Back