• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A different NJA question, I promise!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks guys. That's about what I figured. I've flown corporate before for almost 4 years; emptied the lav, gotten catering, cleaned the plane etc. I actually miss most (not all) of that job, interacting with the pax, loading bags, catering and all that. It's frustrating to sit in the a/c waiting for the ground handlers to get the carry-on bags out of the back so my late passengers can get to their connections. I've even done that myself at my regional when the situation calls for it, but it's nice sometimes to have all that under your control and I don't mind working.

Still can't make up my mind. It's tougher when you have more options and like your current job. I'm not sure I want to be away from the family for 7 days.

that is a tough pill to swallow...

It can be for some guys (and gals). For me, the days usually go back fairly quickly on the road, especially if you're flying with a good guy (or gal) so being out for 7 days wasn't a problem to me. Plus, knowing that you have a week off when you get home is great and helps to balance the 7 days away from home.

But for some people, 7 days is too long. If so, there is a 15-day schedule at NJA as well the 18-day schedule which allows one to bid for shorter tours as part of the preferences. That's not to say that you'll always be gone for less than 7 days on the 18-day Fixed schedule, but it is a possibility.

As others have said, NJA isn't for everyone. Do your research and make an informed decision about what is best for you and your situation.

I'm not sure I want to be away from the family for 7 days.

The 18 day sched is typically 6 day trips, and the 15 day sched is 5 day trips.

Get your application in, start the waiting time. I do think that this is a great job, but upgrades are slow. I am guessing 7+ yrs for a newhire today.

that is a tough pill to swallow...

So is:

• commuting
  • crappy benefits
  • lack of growth
  • little retirement
  • working on narrow margins
  • poor relationships with management
  • instability of the airlines
  • mergers
  • ALPA National
  • lack of bases to choose from
  • airport terminals
  • airport food
  • airline food
  • lack or respect from management
  • lack of respect from your peers
  • lack of respect from passengers
  • flying to the same damn airports
  • being number 90 in EWR
  • humping a 40 pound pubs bag
  • jepps revisions
  • new hires with less than 500TT
  • furloughs
  • bankruptcy
  • sitting reserve
  • sitting ARC/hot standby/airport appreciation
  • lack of advancement
  • eight hour overnights
  • standup overnights
  • crappy hotels
  • paying for your own room for training/recurrent/PC's
  • crashpads in Queens
  • Regionals always looking for the next handout
  • concessions
  • destroyed pensions
  • arguing with ops to get grew meals delivered
  • get called to the carpet for calling fatigued
  • 13 days off after 8 years.
  • I will stop here.
The above represents commonly heard complaints from the airline industry....some are better and some are worse....some are from personal experience.

I think the glamor days of the airlines are over. It is certainly not what it used be and they are one bomb scare of attack away from dissolving...without the governments help. I flew for a great regional with a pretty good relationship with management and I am not sorry I left. I miss the people. I am new and I may have consumed mass amounts of koolaid but I have yet to talk to one person who does not like it at NJA. There are issues everywhere but I think you will less of them here. My brother has been on the 7 & 7 for about 8 years and does not mind it. He has two young kids as well. It is tough to be away but the 7 days he has at home are nice.

The 18 day sched is typically 6 day trips, and the 15 day sched is 5 day trips.

Get your application in, start the waiting time. I do think that this is a great job, but upgrades are slow. I am guessing 7+ yrs for a newhire today.

That is the first time I have seen 7 years...4-5 is what I keep hearing. I hope the latter is true....but I am ZERO hurry.

Now another NJs questions...
I flew with a check airman the other day, and he wants the after landing checklist done ON THE RUNWAY below 40 kts. I have NEVER heard of this. I told him he was crazy. Any thoughts?

In Appendix B of the Flight/Training/Standards book, on page B-28, it says that there should be no movement of any switches until clear of the runway or until the aircraft is established at a "taxi speed". The After Landing checklist is not to be accomplished until after both pilots accomplish their respective flows and the PF has called for that checklist.

That is the first time I have seen 7 years...4-5 is what I keep hearing. I hope the latter is true....but I am ZERO hurry.

It's just my guess but I think for someone hired today, 4-5 years is a little too optimistic for upgrade. Seven years might be a little to the long side, but not bad.

During one of the IBB presentations, I listened to our MEC chairman say that upgrade was running 5 years for those on property and was expected to jump up from there for anyone not yet on the seniority list.

Good post and a good attitude. I like the motto "dont do your job, do what needs to be done".

Now another NJs questions...
I flew with a check airman the other day, and he wants the after landing checklist done ON THE RUNWAY below 40 kts. I have NEVER heard of this. I told him he was crazy. Any thoughts?

Is this guy a 299 Line Check guy in the X? Is he pretty tall and about 40 with goofy shoes? Rides a bike and is dating a chick from NM or AZ?

If so he pulled the same crap with me on a debrief.

Latest resources

Back