A day in the life of.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ksallaz

leaving corporate for regional. what is a "typical" day in the life of a newbie fo on reserve? How bad does commuting really suck? Seems like 6-8 weeks away for training which seems pretty grueling anybody out there have any insight before I sign a training contract?

thanks.

leaving corporate for regional. what is a "typical" day in the life of a newbie fo on reserve? How bad does commuting really suck? Seems like 6-8 weeks away for training which seems pretty grueling anybody out there have any insight before I sign a training contract?

thanks.

are you nuts??? why go to any job that makes you sign a contract?

With your kind of time you can be pretty picky where you choose to work. I did the same thing a few years back and only applied to the more reputable regional carriers with halfway decent pay and QOL. Skywest, Expressjet, and Horizon are probably as good as its going to get for regional airlines, depending of course on where you want to live.

Man, what are you doing? Have you really looked around on this place? This is like ice skating up a hill......you're plugged in to the corporate scene.....just find a better job if the one you've got is a downer. I say this becase the whole airline industry is a downer. I left because I was lucky enough to find a corporate operator that would hire me despite my airline background. Life has NEVER been better for me. What do you expect to find at the regionals?

Is this flame bait or are you seriously serious? Seriously.

I left charter/corporate for a regional and left to go back. The training will be pretty easy if you've been flying anything jet...however the pay not the training will keep you up half the night. Wondering why you left a higher paying job. Then it'll be over. Commuting is horrible, but if you can sleep on an airplane comfortably between two fat people who smell like sweat and butt crack you'll be fine. In all seriousness....commuting for 1-3 hours isnt bad over 3 hours you'll hurt. I couldn't live on the poverty wages after flying corporate/charter, its a hard transition. For a CFI, it isnt a big deal. But, when your flying to the park lane hilton in london eating dinners for 200 pounds....its tough. But, I wish you all the luck. PM me if you want more info

Man, what are you doing? Have you really looked around on this place? This is like ice skating up a hill......you're plugged in to the corporate scene.....just find a better job if the one you've got is a downer. I say this becase the whole airline industry is a downer. I left because I was lucky enough to find a corporate operator that would hire me despite my airline background. Life has NEVER been better for me. What do you expect to find at the regionals?

Is this flame bait or are you seriously serious? Seriously.

The job I have/had was a dream job. Jet 10 minutes from the house going to fun places for great money. BUT the plane is now for sale. I'm just trying to find something to fly and I'm considering everything at this point. This board has a lot of guys that are flying the line and I just want a realisitc look at how bad or good it is. Certainly not flame bait. whatever that is.

With your kind of time you can be pretty picky where you choose to work. I did the same thing a few years back and only applied to the more reputable regional carriers with halfway decent pay and QOL. Skywest, Expressjet, and Horizon are probably as good as its going to get for regional airlines, depending of course on where you want to live.

Thanks for that.

I don't know where you live but PSA doesn't have a training contract and CLT is a great city. I don't know the crash pad situation nor do I work there-things got better for me after they shot me down in the interview anyway-but regionals suck. Too many CDO's, Too many O/N's sked to legal mins, too many youngsters thumping their chests when they get their first "Command".
I know that fatigue was a factor in an accident two years ago and will probably be mentioned again in an upcoming NTSB Final Report.

Even though it kills people Management does not care. "Legal to start, legal to finish". Single pilot 135 cargo has better rest requirements!

Look up the thread about Mesa pilots carrying a board around and you will get a picture.

Another thing to consider-and I don't know how old you are but it is going to be a very, very long time until the major disaster, er, "legacy" airlines start hiring again with all the folks they have on the street and as long as they stay top heavy with management that keeps getting 72 million dollar parachutes for beating unions down (Don Carty for instance) the wages will never recover.

Last edited:
Find another corporate job...don't come to the regionals! You'll regret it~

Latest resources

Back