• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Commuter Pilot's Life: Exhausted, Hungry and Poorly Paid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you serious? N1 was quoting a kid that recently spent over $100,000 to get into this industry and is now making a poverty wage. Like N1 said, that was his choice, and it was a choice that he obviously made well after 2002.

I just want to make clear that there are still people that got involved in this profession pre 9-11 who are still FO's at the regionals. Eagle, Comair, Horizon etc. And other pre 9-11 guys who went with airlines that now have seen them upgraded, are going to be stuck at the regionals for life. None of those guys could have reasonably anticipated not getting to a Major within 5 years or so, barring any accidents or incidents. I have this 20 something calling me up from time to time asking questions about the industry because it's his dream. I am doing my level best to give it to him straight and not allow him to ruin his life as so many others have by pursuing the "dream".

I just want to make clear that there are still people that got involved in this profession pre 9-11 who are still FO's at the regionals. Eagle, Comair, Horizon etc. And other pre 9-11 guys who went with airlines that now have seen them upgraded, are going to be stuck at the regionals for life. None of those guys could have reasonably anticipated not getting to a Major within 5 years or so, barring any accidents or incidents. I have this 20 something calling me up from time to time asking questions about the industry because it's his dream. I am doing my level best to give it to him straight and not allow him to ruin his life as so many others have by pursuing the "dream".

This 20 something did not listen to his parents, what makes think he is going to listen to you. Some people learn the hard way through the experience of living it. I pity the fool that doesn't have a plan.

Latest resources

Back