• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Commuter Pilot's Life: Exhausted, Hungry and Poorly Paid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
However, 3 or 4 years of good, solid, predictable profits and it would be real hard for mgmt and shareholders to deny any labor group a fair but rational pay raise. But thank you oh nobel prize winning economist for your dramatic oversimplification....

When was the last time you saw your scenario play out? Have you seen it since the proliferation of on-line ticket distribution?

Thank you oh brilliant economist..what exactly do you think customer willingess to pay is???? Maybe it is a determining factor of the supply demand equation! I swore somewhere in some BASIC economic class i heard that in my sleep that if prices are low, most likely supply is too high - sometimes way too high. Most intelligent businesses are unwilling to pay huge salaries because the revenues that the salaries are paid from are VERY uncertain these days. Terrorism, oil, swine flu and whatever other nonsensical emotional bull out there that affects customers traveling affects revenue. If you've paid any attention, most airlines attempt (albeit poorly due to the high variability) to match the supply with the demand. And no, if they raised airfares pilot salaries wouldn't skyrocket overnight. However, 3 or 4 years of good, solid, predictable profits and it would be real hard for mgmt and shareholders to deny any labor group a fair but rational pay raise. But thank you oh nobel prize winning economist for your dramatic oversimplification....

...........nevermind, I have better things to do.

Last edited:
By the way, let me just add my two cents that I truly think that the regional airilnes are absolutely evil, from every aspect: greed, race to the bottom, paying pilots poorly, pilot-pushing, etc.

If you want to defend the regional airlines, go ahead; especially if you want to make the argument that it's "supply-and-demand," or "this is capitalism at work," etc. But, remember this: we wouldn't be having this conversation if they were so wonderful.

You remember this.....we wouldn't be having this conversation if the Major airlines...and the Major airlines pilots had not given it!

You remember this.....we wouldn't be having this conversation if the Major airlines...and the Major airlines pilots had not given it!

Well said!

The regionals 'aren't so wonderful' bc of the whipsawing world in which they are awarded flying. This is created by the major airlines to specifically cut costs by circumnavigating seniority at BOTH the regional and major airline level. And major aiine after major airline has fallen for it.

To furlough, then outsource is unforgivable.

Some people need a rock to fall on their head and tell them something like a regional pilot's life is not great, and other folks are a quick study with the knowledge and say its not for me. Where's that dxmn violin when I need it.

Sadly a CNN pole of the top 50 jobs in the US does NOT include pilot. Hotel manager: yes, at number 25, Dr? yes, at about 10. Pilot: No.

What's the reasoning?

I think you fools are part of the problem. What part of 18k a year for an airline pilot job is OK???? It is not right - why do we get paid so little? Unions have lost much of their power and it will take decades of pattern bargaining to get us back to where we should be.

What is the reasoning for going into an expensive pilot program to begin with? Weren't regional pilots paid on "opportunity costs" vice living wages by design? Now with move on opportunities waning; how do they recruit?
It seems rather fiscally irresponsible to pursue that flying career path now.

Must be some sales pitch.

Latest resources

Back