• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Commuter Pilot's Life: Exhausted, Hungry and Poorly Paid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you serious? Those of us who got into this profession prior to 2002 or so, had a reasonable expectation of up to 5 years max at a regional carrier then we would be off to a Major. After all, it was the Majors that made up the vast majority of flying, plus had a pension you got at 60 and a career value of 6 million dollars. Now the regionals make up half of the departures in the US, meaning no more jobs at the Majors for most regional pilots, and oh yeah, pay cuts at the Major airlines if you are lucky enough to get there and last but not least, no more pensions!

I think 100 grand for a job with what had a 6 million dollar career value is quite a bargain. I guess everyone was supposed to have a crystal ball huh? With 13,000 hours you must have been settled at your career airline long before 2001. Once again, another pilot who has his, now screw everybody else!

Are you serious? N1 was quoting a kid that recently spent over $100,000 to get into this industry and is now making a poverty wage. Like N1 said, that was his choice, and it was a choice that he obviously made well after 2002.

It blows my mind to hear guys complaining about their $100,000 loans and ******************** regional wages. For years now it has been possible to do thorough research prior to spending that kind of money, and for the life of me I cannot fathom why somebody wouldn't before blowing that much cash. They have only themselves to blame for making such stupid decisions.

The regionals know there is a limitless supply of these guys willing to spend obscene amounts of money doing the ATP 90-day fast track course, and then happily accept a job making $18,000/yr flying a jet. Until that changes, there is little incentive for the airlines to change pay and QOL. That's just a fact.

Can you say Multi crew CPL ?

So you think there is an oversupply of pilots, wait and see what happens when the ICAO Multi crew CPL becomes the law.

240 hours and you are a Boing/Airbus FO.

Are you serious? N1 was quoting a kid that recently spent over $100,000 to get into this industry and is now making a poverty wage. Like N1 said, that was his choice, and it was a choice that he obviously made well after 2002.
I am going to bet that the 100K was spent at an aviation college flight program. It is not necessary to spend that much money to get an RJ job. 18K will do the job.

I don't think anything in the last 10 years has helped out anyone at any airline (large or small.) We are in a crumbling industry where everyone (and many in government) thinks that people have a constitutional right to fly across the country for $59 each way and be delivered to their destination aboard a state-of-the-art $50 million dollar airliner piloted by Chuck Damn Yeager hisself.

-Things have got to change, or this industry will cease to exist-at least as a means of gainful employment.

-Personally, I think the next logical step in cheapness is Cabotage, and I think it will happen in the next decade. In that case, we are all well and truly screwed in the butthole.

You hit the nail on the head. It has less to do with the management of most of the majors and regionals and a whole lot to do with the commoditization of air travel. I don't often purchase plane tickets but the last time I did, I paid $88 plus tax to go 2000 miles. The cab fare at my destination for 25 miles was over $50. Consumers look at airline travel almost the same way they look at toilet paper...some cheap to be consumed as they need.

It blows my mind to hear guys complaining about their $100,000 loans and ******************** regional wages. For years now it has been possible to do thorough research prior to spending that kind of money, and for the life of me I cannot fathom why somebody wouldn't before blowing that much cash. They have only themselves to blame for making such stupid decisions.

The regionals know there is a limitless supply of these guys willing to spend obscene amounts of money doing the ATP 90-day fast track course, and then happily accept a job making $18,000/yr flying a jet. Until that changes, there is little incentive for the airlines to change pay and QOL. That's just a fact.

I think you fools are part of the problem. What part of 18k a year for an airline pilot job is OK???? It is not right - why do we get paid so little? Unions have lost much of their power and it will take decades of pattern bargaining to get us back to where we should be.

So you think there is an oversupply of pilots, wait and see what happens when the ICAO Multi crew CPL becomes the law.

240 hours and you are a Boing/Airbus FO.

The MPL is on its way and will be here for good. Better get use to it.

I am going to bet that the 100K was spent at an aviation college flight program. It is not necessary to spend that much money to get an RJ job. 18K will do the job.

Yes, but can also produce a big, smoking hole, as we've seen over and over again. A University Flight Program has a couple of advantages over a "Pilot Farm" in that you take dozens of classes often taught by folks with decades of experience . . . . where you learn little things like "High Altitude Aerodynamics" and perhaps learn the basis behind the regs, not just memorize the answers. I wouldn't recommend majoring in Aviation, but as a minor, it is good knowledge to have, if you plan to be a Pilot. Just my inflation-adjusted two cents.

True

Yes, but can also produce a big, smoking hole, as we've seen over and over again. A University Flight Program has a couple of advantages over a "Pilot Farm" in that you take dozens of classes often taught by folks with decades of experience . . . . where you learn little things like "High Altitude Aerodynamics" and perhaps learn the basis behind the regs, not just memorize the answers. I wouldn't recommend majoring in Aviation, but as a minor, it is good knowledge to have, if you plan to be a Pilot. Just my inflation-adjusted two cents.
But it is up to the individual to determine if the extra 82K is worth it to get that 18K job.

I think you fools are part of the problem. What part of 18k a year for an airline pilot job is OK???? It is not right - why do we get paid so little?
The same reason why people accept peanuts to play for years in the minor league baseball system. Most believe that if they keep at it, they will be rewarded with a comfortable career in the major leagues. Some of the things keeping this "hope alive" is the age 65 clock and the ensuing "hiring surge" and alpa's drum beat of "taking it back." As long as the hope and dreams still exist, nothing about the current situation will change.

Latest resources

Back