A Career Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
falcon20driver said:
What's not to like about AirTran, the fact that they don't consider 135 jet PIC time worthy, they're losing a lot of highly qualified and pretty darn good pilot applicants because of that.

Yup, and SWA is losing out on a lot of guys who don't have a 737 type, and JB is missing out on guys whose time is in aircraft under 20,000# MTOW (or whatever) same with FEDEX . . . . I don't agree with those requirements, but I don;t set 'em, either.

FWIW, I didn't have any 121 time when I hired on at AirTran, in fact, I STILL don't meet our FO requirements . . . . so you don't have to ask what I think of that rule!

Was hoping a few more would answer, but I would like to thank all whom participated.

Cheers

AA

falcon20driver said:
What's not to like about AirTran, the fact that they don't consider 135 jet PIC time worthy, they're losing a lot of highly qualified and pretty darn good pilot applicants because of that.

What about FedEx? They don't consider civilian 121 jet PIC time worthy either.

Wesb737fo said:
AA flyer,

I think you are going to find that well over 10,000 applicants are going for Continental since they will join the short list of Airlines that are hiring.

If I were at SWA, I would not leave for anyone. If I were somewhere that did not pay well (I.E. regional airline with crappy work rules and bad management) I would consider trading my seniority to go to Continental or any of the other airlines that are hiring.

I do enjoy working for my present Employer flying 737's, however things are not really stable ( I stand a chance of being furloughed) so I will apply to CO.

If I have to leave, I suppose my dream line-up would be SWA, UPS, FEDeX, CO, JBLU, AirTran, AWA. Delta is actually my number one choice (being a Georgia boy) but I don't think they are going to be hiring any time soon. Any encouraging words, General Lee?

As a side note, I go to work every day and realize that I am still flying a jet during the worst economic conditions for the airline industry. Just hoping they don't get any worse.

I would love to say everything here is "Peachy"---but it is not. We are still working on getting our act together, and hopefully not going to Chap 11. I think we finally have some good management and a "plan", but we need a lot more things to go right for us. We are retiring a bunch of people (due to pension scares and a rising Gatt rate which affects the size of the lump sum), but we still have 638 people out, although 100 more of them should return by the end of Summer supposedly. We had 34 retire April 1st, and we may have up to 150 retire on May 1st due to that Gatt rate rising and vacation payout (unused vacation) on the mid April check---adding to their final earnings. Also, some of those 638 furloughs have probably moved on to JB etc, so we really don't know the number. We will be happier when good ole Dave Griffen and TBKANE come back. After that, we will see about hiring. In the meantime, going to another one of your choices might be a good thing to do. Good luck.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Falcon20driver,

I'm trying to figure out what your beef with B-1900 pilots being hired at SWA and AirTran. I think that hand flying 8 legs a day in the weather (1120 hours my last year flying that p.o.s) in the Northeast corridor will give you the experience that alot of places like. I'm sure you fly alot in your Falcon, but,why should that give you an advantage in the eyes of those that do the hiring?

Hey There Falcon,

No disrespect to Ty, but life doesn't hinge on AirTran not hiring 135, unless AirTran is where you want to be. Do you have any contacts at FedEx? UPS (or any other numerous airlines that aren't going to hire me right now).

Like someone said in an earlier post, there are vast numbers of qualified pilots out there, so companies can set whatever qualifications they want to. By the way, I might be needing a job soon. How much do you make flying a Falcon20?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back