A/C order question for Delta guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General,

Spin it how you like, but wide body orders creates movement.....more bodies required. How many wide bodies are on order? A handful of 787s way off on the horizon in 2020. The what if rumors out there are just that....rumors. These guys are in the virtual airline business and we will be forced to retire on whatever version of the 737 Southwest tells Boeing they want.

You're right, and we are all waiting for a juicy widebody order. That will be great. In the meantime, create a better product and spruce up the current widebodies (don't park them or sell them), and then watch retirements cause upward movement. I want to see a widebody order also, but not parking the planes and actually throwing in a better product (lie flat seats, AVOD), is not bad either. It's better than the alternative.

Bye Bye---General Lee

General,

Spin it how you like, but wide body orders creates movement.....more bodies required. How many wide bodies are on order? A handful of 787s way off on the horizon in 2020. The what if rumors out there are just that....rumors. These guys are in the virtual airline business and we will be forced to retire on whatever version of the 737 Southwest tells Boeing they want.

He's ok with that as he loves the 717 and can't wait to do 5 legs a day to BHM, GPT, and TLH.

I think a re-engined, 757 with an upgraded avionics package, and a modern wing would be a much better aircraft. The only reason to not use the 757 frame was because of the 737-600 and 700 sized airplanes, now that it's pretty apparent that very few of these sized airplanes will be purchased going forward, I think a re-hacked 757 with LEAP engines would have been a knockout punch to airbus.

Not for the passengers.

As a professional airline passenger (and spouse of a DL/NERD pilot), I LOATHE riding in the back of a 757, especially Delta's. The 7-5 is the definition of NARROW BODY.

I fly a MINIMUM of 50 airline trips a year (mostly coach) as a paying customer and my preferences are as follows for passenger experience:

Narrow Body

A-319/320/321
B-737
E-190
B-757
B-717
MD-80 Series
All the other RJ's

Wide Body

A-330/340
B-777
B-747
B-767
MD-10/11

Haven't ridden on the 787 or the 380 yet.

I know most of you couldn't give a rip about the comfort in the back but it hopefully does factor in the selection process by the poo-bah's in the executive suite.

Of course, none of them come close to the ride in the back of a G-550 :D

As someone who loves flying the 757, but doesn't love deadheading in the back of one, I sympathize. Why did you put the 757 ahead of the M88? I always prefer the 2x3 configuration on that aircraft. Only one out of five seats is a middle seat.

He's ok with that as he loves the 717 and can't wait to do 5 legs a day to BHM, GPT, and TLH.

First off, turn around and say hi to Uncle Sal for me. Next, I am awaiting a bid on the 737 Captain seat in ATL, which may be coming up here soon since we start getting 100 new 739ERs mid next year. Can't wait. Bill can have the 717.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Sure......leave my widebody for a 717?

Yeah, sign me up General!! You have me mistaken for an F/O

Tha MAX should not be considered a long term narrowbody solution by Boeing. I think they bought themselves 5-8 years MAX (pun intended). They need to be working on a clean sheet design while the MAX is still in development so that they are ready to bring a new frame to market in the 2020-23 timeframe at the latest.

Very good point. There is something on the drawing board. uncle is a Chief engineer at Boeing. Discussions and planning are well underway for a NB Composite variant of the dreamliner. Your 5-8 year time span is right on the mark according to him.

As someone who loves flying the 757, but doesn't love deadheading in the back of one, I sympathize. Why did you put the 757 ahead of the M88? I always prefer the 2x3 configuration on that aircraft. Only one out of five seats is a middle seat.

Primarily noise level. If I'm aft of about row 23 on a Mad Dog, my ears ring for two days. If I'm aft of the galley, it's three days. And I wear the QC-15. With earplugs...

Overhead bins on the MD are a joke too and I NEVER check a bag unless the gate agent has a gun to my head.

Sure......leave my widebody for a 717?

Yeah, sign me up General!! You have me mistaken for an F/O

Sorry, it's hard to tell from your profile.........I wonder if we have flown together on the 7ER??? HMMMMM.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Not for the passengers.

As a professional airline passenger (and spouse of a DL/NERD pilot), I LOATHE riding in the back of a 757, especially Delta's. The 7-5 is the definition of NARROW BODY.

I fly a MINIMUM of 50 airline trips a year (mostly coach) as a paying customer and my preferences are as follows for passenger experience:

Narrow Body

A-319/320/321
B-737
E-190
B-757
B-717
MD-80 Series
All the other RJ's

Wide Body

A-330/340
B-777
B-747
B-767
MD-10/11

Haven't ridden on the 787 or the 380 yet.

I know most of you couldn't give a rip about the comfort in the back but it hopefully does factor in the selection process by the poo-bah's in the executive suite.

Of course, none of them come close to the ride in the back of a G-550 :D

You can't compare a 757 to a 737 in the back...the airlines have a large range of options in the back (they sometimes have someone other than Boeing outfitting the passenger cabin in fact). You also might be comparing a 1980's 757 to an NG. Try comparing a 737-Classic to a 757 and I think you will see that it's realy the same tube...just a little higher off the ground due to the longer landing gear. There is no reason Boeing couldn't have made the same improvements to the interior that they made on the 757 to the 737. Also, try riding a former CAL 737NG to an Alaska NG. CAL has nicer gizmos on the seats...Alaska has a sightly thicker seat cushion making the choice difficult. I personally prefer the thicker seat cushion.

Anyway...

Latest resources

Back