A Boat Question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

That's not a boat, its a small oceanliner. You might want to direct that question to one of the boating magazines...

You will obviously need a pilot to fly your citation X to the boat, so let me know and I will fax my salary requirments!!!!!!

Citation X, ha, that's what I use to shoot touch and goes and get lunch in! I use my Global Express's for the real trips, I have 7 one for each day of the week!

You wouldn't need a license unless you had passengers paying you (sound familiar?).

Now, your insurance would probably require a 100 or 200 ton (depending on the weight) master license to take it out -sound familiar?

Something that big isn't that easy to dock and usually requires a few people to spot and grab the lines. You would also need an engineer on board to watch and maintain all the equipment.

I don't have any experience with that large a craft, but maybe some of the other boaters with their Masters can confirm the above.

I was down in the Islands a few years back, sitting at a bar drinking Bahamia Mama's, watching the "yachts" come in. This one yacht comes in (about 150 footer like the one you posted) and I said something like, "wow, now that's a yacht". There was an older guy sitting next to me and he pulled back his straw hat and said, "naw, it ain't a yacht unless it has a helo pad on the back."

I laughed and said yeah, right...he asked me if I wanted to see a "yacht" by his definition. So off we went down the dock to his "yacht". Yup, he had a helo pad, and a Jet ranger to boot.

Took me on a tour of his 205 foot expedition style mega yacht. Words can not describe this thing. It had an 18,000 gal fuel capacity and 5k gallon water capacity if that gives you any ideas. In the Islands, fuel runs around the 3 dollar mark on average. Do the math. There were two sport fishing boats on board that were both 40 footers themselves, plus a 35 foot "runabout".

When we got back to our 45 foot Bennetuae(sp?) sali boat I felt like we were just white trash compared to where I just visited.

ok, I know this is an aviation board, but I did mention the Jet Ranger! :D

Thanks for the info.

How easy is it to travel to different countries in that boat?

Like as a pilot I know I need a radio operator's permit to go to Canada, but would I need anything special if I was going to sail from Bermuda to Rio De Janeiro?

Did anyone see that gigantic ship they are making? I forget what it's called but it will have a runway on the top deck.

When traveling via boat, you have to clear customs in the visiting country in a port that has customs clearance. If your destination is not a designated customs port, you would need to go to a port that has a customs agent present. From there you may travel within that country to different Island- i.e. the Bahamas.

Couldn't tell you about the radio license, but the FCC doesn't really matter to the Govn't of Rio (Brazil).

Most importantly, you need to know what you can and can't have going into different ports based on the laws of that country.

Let me know when you plan on that Bernuda to Rio trip, I might have a few months off and can take the trip with you! :D

Actually, I would have to fly that trip- that is way to long a trip for my liking. :)

Maybe one day I can take that trip.

I think I would like to buy some islands if I was going to buy that boat.

Who knows, I might be able to buy Necker Island from Richard Branson.

I'm just curious, about how long do you think it would take to cross the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans in that boat?

A week maybe?

Latest resources

Back