90s diverted to Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CFIT

So why is it such a problem for Jerry to hold up the ASA pilots for the better???? The proposal is still sub SKW in most of the sections left open.

We would have had the contract done a long time ago if he had offered what you guys have in most of the sections that were left open when SKW Inc bought ASA. Futhermore, he would have had the respect of the ASA pilots as well as, as you say, the SKW pilots.

What's the problem with the stand up guy that you think Jerry is? Seems to me that he wants ASA to have a sub SKW contract. Don't ya think? What does this accomplish?

1. It helps keep ALPA off SKW property.

2. It allows him to whipsaw the 2 pilots groups against each other.

He sat and told me to my face that he didn't want to whipsaw, but if we didn't keep our costs down it would happen. SKW would grow and ASA would shrink. What do you call that?

Are the ASA pilots not equal to the SKW pilots in deserving a comperable contract? Seems Jerry doesn't think so.

I can only imagine that Jerry is being extremely cautious in his dealings with the unions, because after he deals with ALPA he'll have to deal with AFA and as such he is going heavy now. And yes, it appears alot of this posturing is to keep ALPA out for the SkyWest pilots as well. From a business sense he was very leveraged if ASA was going to get the 900's and having ASA in SLC did'nt really make alot of sense either.

I don't think any of the SkyWest pilots feel that our bretheren at ASA deserve any less than what we have at here, of course you are equal.

I don't think any of the SkyWest pilots feel that our bretheren at ASA deserve any less than what we have at here, of course you are equal.

CFIT,

What I don't understand is that ASA hasn't been offered for the most part what SKW has already. Why is what is good enough for you guys, not good enough for us?

Last edited:
From a business sense he was very leveraged if ASA was going to get the 900's and having ASA in SLC did'nt really make alot of sense either.

No, but if JA wanted to be "REAL" and not SCREW us like our own mngmnt, he would have left well enough alone. To keep our small group in SLC would have cost NOTHING!! Now, he is paying DOUBLE to move pilots to ATL then two months later...LAX! Yeah....THAT makes sense! What a PUDD!! JA is just like all the rest...only cares about his bottom line and the minute it is in jeopardy, you guys are NEXT!! Hope I am wrong, but I HIGHLY DOUBT IT!!

9 pages of ASA pilots already calling SkyWest pilots scabs and threatening them with the fear of denied jumpseating and career suicide. They haven't even struck yet and SkyWest pilots are already the bad guy. It's nice to see that for the majority SkyWest pilots will back-up the ASA pilots. But at this rate, I can't imagine how much longer that will be true.

When was the last time you heard an ASA pilot on here backing SkyWest pilots on their pay-raise and QOL issues? Oh wait, their only stance is that we need a union.

Though unions are surely nice, ALPA is not. We've seen what it's done for not only you buy every other regional they represent, and it all adds up to squat.

Over the past 35 years JA has grown SkyWest into the most-profitable and largest regional airline in the US. It surely didn't happen because he treated his employees like crap. Until he proves otherwise, quit trying to paint a picture about a man that isn't true.

9 pages of ASA pilots already calling SkyWest pilots scabs and threatening them with the fear of denied jumpseating and career suicide. They haven't even struck yet and SkyWest pilots are already the bad guy. It's nice to see that for the majority SkyWest pilots will back-up the ASA pilots. But at this rate, I can't imagine how much longer that will be true.

When was the last time you heard an ASA pilot on here backing SkyWest pilots on their pay-raise and QOL issues? Oh wait, their only stance is that we need a union.

Though unions are surely nice, ALPA is not. We've seen what it's done for not only you buy every other regional they represent, and it all adds up to squat.

Over the past 35 years JA has grown SkyWest into the most-profitable and largest regional airline in the US. It surely didn't happen because he treated his employees like crap. Until he proves otherwise, quit trying to paint a picture about a man that isn't true.

So you're going to paint a picture of 1800 ASA pilots based on the comments of what is probably less than 10 people?????? :rolleyes:

I and a lot more ASA pilots support the SKW pilots in whatever they do.

If you're going to base you opinion of ALPA only on what the putz's on here say bad about it then that is sad. Read flying the line I and II and understand what ALPA did for all airline pilots over the years. Yeah, things are not perfect but what is?

It all goes back to ME ME ME ME!!!!! Everyone wants ALPA to be the end all be all to fix THEIR problems. They want it to happen but they don't support, volunteer, nothing to help fix their problems at the local level. Then when it doesn't happen they blame ALPA national or ALPA as a whole for not being able to stop what is going on now or in the past.

You want divine intervention then pray to someone else, cause that is not what ALPA is.

Whatever, ALPA is what it is. Vote for it or not, I don't care. I won't try to convince you one way or the other. But don't let only the bad things you hear make up your mind.

Call me what you will, but I am far from 100% pro union. I get from ALPA what benifits me and support and volunteer to help keep those benifits for all pilots. Not just ALPA pilots, cause whether you like it or not, SKW pilots have benifited as a result of ALPA carriers.

Off my soapbox now.

Wrong. ASA has the highest profit margin in the business. That means more per plane the SW.

There are a few that worry about SW pilots flying ASA routes should a strike occur but they are the minority. Every SW pilot I've dealt with has been a descent guy and I harbor no grudges there.

The problem is the whipsaw and you guys are it right now. I don't believe it is the pilot group's fault but if something isn't done then SW pilots may be viewed as willing partners.

But what SW has remember, if he'll do it to another arm of his company, he'll do it to the other.

So far as happy pilots go, it's nice to have that but how many pilots do you know that don't want to get the job done right? Not many huh? If JA figures he can make more money, he'll certainly leverage ASA against you guys to get it.

Wrong. ASA has the highest profit margin in the business. That means more per plane the SW.

Alrighty, let's do our math. This one is pretty simple to figure out so read along with me now. SkyWest Airlines Q2 profit margin was 5.4%. SkyWest, Inc. Q2 profit margin was 4.97%. Now wouldn't you suppose that if ASA's Q2 profit margin were higher than Skywest Airlines that the overall SkyWest, Inc. profit margin would be higher than it is?

And I'm not degrading anyone on here, so don't take it that way. But quite a few ASA people on here are constantly attacking the SkyWest pilot group. They know who they are, and I didn't single any one of them out. I did not mean to offend the group as a whole. Solidarity, brother!

I can only imagine that Jerry is being extremely cautious in his dealings with the unions, because after he deals with ALPA he'll have to deal with AFA and as such he is going heavy now. And yes, it appears alot of this posturing is to keep ALPA out for the SkyWest pilots as well. From a business sense he was very leveraged if ASA was going to get the 900's and having ASA in SLC did'nt really make alot of sense either.

I think both pilot groups want pretty much the same things the same things. To be adequately compensated for the job we do and the contribution we make to SKW Inc.

Jerry and the rest of our mismanagment just aren't showing us they feel the same way. They tried the hard sell with nothing to back it up. We asked them to prove it and they either said they couldn't, wouldn't or didn't with the lame charts, spreadsheets and numbers they had.

Jerry playing the role of the "Heavy" did nothing but reaffirm our lack of trust in managment. For me that was the absolute wrong way to go. It just made us dig our heels in deeper against what managment tells us. Up front and honest with facts would have been the way to go in my opinion. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Now we are being punished for being bad pilots and not taking the lame proposals the company put out there. That is doing a lot to improve things, right? How well does anyone respond to ultimatums.

Our system CP/director of flt ops, whatever his title is, Scott Hall told a recurrent class that "this has become like a couple getting a divorce". Both sides are not talking to each other cause both think they are right and the other one is full of human excriment. How do you fix it? I don't think it is fixable and have two interviews in the next month hopefully to get out before the implosion. We shall see.

The whole SLC thing, as much as it sucks, made business sense. But, the anger and resentment of the pilots out there is understandable. I went through it in DFW and can only imagine having to do it again.

uhhhh Who owns ASA???

Doesnt SkyWest, Inc. own ASA? That would make SkyWest, Inc. the most profitable....

Latest resources

Back