• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

90 Seat Turbo Prop/UAL/CAL scope buster

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, you are wrong. I think 90 seat props will probably come one day. I don't think they are going to replace 737/A320/757/767 flying. They are going to be replacing 50 seat jet flying and even some 70 seat jet flying. Capacity constraints at the bug hub airports are the driving reason why larger capacity, shorter range aircraft are going to thrive in the years to come. The 50 seat RJ is going to see less and less of a future role in the business models of the legacies.

These 200 seat aircraft, whether they are operating JFK-LAX or AUS-IAH are there for a reason. They have lots of 1st class seats and are somewhat expected by the business customer we cater to. They are going nowhere.

Alpa has never cared and in my opinion will never will care about props. Main line Alpa guys say stuff like “props are for boats”, “not at my airline”, and “those things are for kids”. Main line dosen’t even include them in the scope language. They are one step below mini jets.

Not true. I would fly that thing. If it pays the same as what I am making now.

.....but since they won't, I take it you'll vote to send these airframes out to the lowest bidder, and the cycle will continue.

Well, CALALPA and UALALPA are changing their tone. ALPA National has been a dismal failure in the world of scope. It is going to take local MECs to carry the load in the future. The time is now. A pilot flying a 70 seat jet or a 90 seat prop should not be paid 50% less with nothing but a 401K match etc. just because the management types at the big legacy carriers have been successful in labeling the aircraft "regional" and painting "express" or "connection" on the side. The mechanic working on an aircraft manufactured by Embraer or Bombardier should not make less and work longer hours because the aircraft he is slaving away on in the snow at 0200lcl has been labeled "regional". The same goes for the baggage loaders/customer service agents at the smaller airports and, of course, the flight attendants(only 2 for a 90 seat plane doing 40 minute legs on average in the case of a 90 seat prop). Pilots will take the lead in this fight but I hope other employees see the writing on the wall and support this scope effort.

Twisted Mind: See above: CAL already has prop scope. I'm sure others do too.

cliff
LFW
PS-I would be ECSTATIC to fly props for a company with good T&Cs (Terms and Conditions).

The greatest generation of airline pilots all flew props. DC6/7, Constellations, DC3's, Martin 404's, Convair 440's, Electra's, etc.

The future of fuel efficiency is going to be built in the form of an un-ducted propeller style. Mainline pilots better get accustom to flying props again otherwise they will be standing on a ramp somewhere watching the planes fly by without them in one.

And until just recently mainline pilots did fly 70 seat jets. Who flew the DC 9's? Who flew the 737-100? Who flew the Carvelles?

Management truly has won if you mainline pilots are to good to fly real airplanes.

.....but since they won't, I take it you'll vote to send these airframes out to the lowest bidder, and the cycle will continue.

And you would be wrong. My scope says 78 seat turbo props and 50 seat jets. I think that is too high. You want to fly these bigger planes, fine the line starts behind me.

Ah. So you were lying in your original statement? You sounded pretty adament about wanting the same pay you're making now (on the 737?).

Yep Alpa gets all huffed up and puts on a good show about 50 seat or 76 seat jets. Alpa then tosses a 80 seat limit on props. No such airplane exists so alpa really dug in deep on this issue. They really held the line this time. I bet the old geezers would give T-prop scope away for .50 hr raise. Then they would say they didn't even know they had it.

Latest resources

Back