• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

9 seats one pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bash SP all you want, but the SP IFR guys on the 135 side are sharp pilots. When it comes to actually flying a plane in IMC, I'd prefer a pilot with significant expierence handling a plane SP IFR.

So...are we going to turn the cockpit and the pilots seat into a lav? or do we just get up and go and let the autopilot watch the airplane?

And I have flow SP in Citations, but would not want to do it on a regular basis.

Single Pilot Part 121 operations

Remotely controlled airliners

Free-flight air traffic control system

Oh, yea. This all makes perfect sense.

They have had 9-seat 135 commuter operations for years. The FAA doesn't really care about overall safety, or single level of safety for that matter. It is all about cost vs. benefit, operational risk vs. promoting air commerce. These 135 sked operations are going to be increasing ten-fold over the next couple of years, PC-12s, Cessna 208s, 402s, etc...

Oh yeah, AvantAir and HopAjet are doing so well these days.

I wasn't talking about 135 ad hoc charter outfits...I was referring to scheduled commuter ops with less than 10-seats.

But some one buys a ticket on united thinking its on a big airplane and relatively safe. Then they get put on an old 1900 with 9 seats and one pilot and half the seats are not even on the aircraft

Cheesy for sure

Bash SP all you want, but the SP IFR guys on the 135 side are sharp pilots. When it comes to actually flying a plane in IMC, I'd prefer a pilot with significant expierence handling a plane SP IFR.

Why is it that these super-sharp 135 pilots have a much more dismal accident rate than so-so pilots flying 121 as a team?

I've flown with some pretty sharp SP 135 guys but, in my experience, they tend not to be very smooth and revert to single-pilot habits when crew-work is required. The few I've had try to "captain" from the right seat have all been SP IFR cargo guys.

Why is it that these super-sharp 135 pilots have a much more dismal accident rate than so-so pilots flying 121 as a team?

I've flown with some pretty sharp SP 135 guys but, in my experience, they tend not to be very smooth and revert to single-pilot habits when crew-work is required. The few I've had try to "captain" from the right seat have all been SP IFR cargo guys.

I blame the accident rate on complacency and management pressure.

There is an expectation from mgmt that the plane goes unless there is a high risk of getting caught doing something illegal. It's a shady business.

Latest resources

Back