9/11 Airline Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Amazing.
So, why do you guys think the media has made such a big deal about firefighters and police officers, but said little or nothing about the airline crews that died that day? Flight attendants as well were brutally killed before the aircraft were crashed, and I think all of the flight crews were true heroes. I have nothing against firefighters and police officers, but they were doing their jobs that day, just like the flight crews. Why the disparity?

Not really sure why the flight crews have been so overlooked. Even the civilians who died in the WTC have not gotten as much press as the Firefighters and cops. The way I see it, the office employees were just as heroic as the firefighters and cops. At least the cops and firefighters knew what they are getting into. When they began there careers, they knew the professions they were choosing were dangerous and they made the decision to choose them. What about the quite guy who never wanted to be in the action, just go to his safe office job do his days work and go home to his family and live a normal life. The way I see it, that is where the real tragedy lies.

Heroes of our time

Hello,
I too have found it surprising that most of the recognition for heroism has been bestowed upon police, fire and other rescue personnel. This is well deserved, because they made the ultimate sacrifice in the carrying out of their duties. However, the cockpit and cabin crews of the four aircraft on 9-11 are also heroes in my eyes. We will never know what the circumstances were that allowed the murderers to commandeer those aircraft, however, it would never have been without a fight.
Some of you have been flying for a long time, some for just a short time or perhaps even just dream of a life in the cockpit. Flying has been a way of life for me since I was the mere toddler son of a career USAF pilot. Flying is by it's very nature a dangerous business whether it's flying off the deck of a frigate on a moonless night, or flying a transport category aircraft across the Pacific. I don't know if I will ever feel the same as I did prior to 9-11, because whatever false sense of naivety I had was wiped out in an instant on that day.
At the end of the day, perhaps we can all keep the men and women in the cockpit and cabin in our prayers, try and do our jobs with just a little more diligence and keep the press on...I have no doubts that they would have wanted it that way.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Remember:

"There is nothing better than flying when it's pure and it's good"
(paraphrasing a quote from "Varsity Blues")

Latest resources

Back