Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
woke in the middle of the night, and just couldn't stop thinking about the events of the last year. I began to think about the pilots of the doomed airliners on September the 11th and realized that I knew nothing about them. With all of the news about the firefighters and police men, it seems that the Pilots of these planes have been overlooked. Does anyone know anything about these men? Maybe you flew with them, or serve this country with them at your side. I think everyone on the board would agree that they should never be forgotten.

heres a nice website set up as a memorial to Victor Saracini, Captain of the United Flight that hit the WTC. It contains links to his Co-pilots memorial website. there may be other web sites for the other pilots, try a google search.

http://www.victorsaracini.com

American Flight 11 Captain John Oganowski, First Officer Tom Mcguiness

The Captain's last name of the American flight that hit the pentagon was Burlingame.

United 93 Captain Jason Dahl, First officer Leroy Homer.

Rounding out the group is the FO of AA 93 (Pentagon), David Charlebois, who was a fellow Embry-Riddle alum. ERAU set up a scholarship fund in his memory.

I agree these eight pilots should never be forgotten. They showed up for work one day, just like every single one of us does, not knowing they'd become the victims of madmen possessed by a dangerously warped interpretation of faith.

It is my hope that my life, and my life's work, honors the sacrifice our fellow aviators made.

"The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here." -- Abraham Lincoln

GODSPEED TO THOSE GUYS

Let them soar among the clouds forever....They will never be forgotten.

SD

Captain Burlingame was an Eagle Scout and a memorial article was dedicated to him in the National Eagle Scout Magazine.

I'm not military, but those sites glassed my eyes over. Especially after reading the poems/essays from Captain Saracini's kids. D*amn.

They say time heals all wounds. Not this time.

I was in Boston on 9-11 and I will always remember a nice tidbit about Captain John Oganowski that came out from a press conference. He lived out on a farm not too far from Boston. It was the area he had lived his whole life and like alot of America developers were trying to buy up a bunch of the area land and build office space. Mr. Oganowski and the local residents were fighting this, because many of them wanted to keep their town's simple past. He was so serious about this that he bought up the land himself and had arranged for it to be left for the community, which shut out the developers. It is his legacy to the land where he spent his whole life.

You have to respect the man for his passion. I carry a picture I found from his memorial service in my flight bag. Godspeed...

I just looked at the memorial sites of the pilots from United 175. That broke my heart seeing their families and reading about their past. It just still makes me sad and very angry that they are gone. Them along with the other 3000 people that should still be here today. Also, not to forget our military personel that are gone too. Anyway, those websites made me feel kind of sick to my stomach.

Here's a little more about Capt. Charles "Chic" Burlingame.

He was a graduate of the USNA and served on active duty and as a reservist. He retired from the Navy Reserve as a captain (O-6). While at the Academy, he acquired the nickname "Gramps" from fellow students and that later became his call sign.

I was part of his crew on several ocassions while a flight attendant for AA.

BTW, according to Fox News Network, there is legislation before Congress which proposes changes to eligibility for burial at Arlington National Cemetery. Among the changes is improved eligibility for reservists who retire after 20 years, but have not turned 60. If approved, retired reservists who are not yet 60 will be eligible. Restrictions for other groups would be tightened to accomodate the change for reservists. The legislation, in part, is due to the difficulty the Burlingame family had obtaining a waiver for Capt. Burlingame's burial at ANC.

Fly safe!

Latest resources

Back