8710 question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

convair007

I'm a CFI who just renewed my certificate used an online FIRC. Since the last time I renewed I have added on an MEI. Do I have to check any other boxes on the 8710 form to make sure my MEI shows up on my new certificate or is checking flight instructor and renewal sufficient? Thanks in advance. I keep my certificate current but don't ever use it so I'm a bit rusty with the 8710.

I'm a CFI who just renewed my certificate used an online FIRC. Since the last time I renewed I have added on an MEI. Do I have to check any other boxes on the 8710 form to make sure my MEI shows up on my new certificate or is checking flight instructor and renewal sufficient? Thanks in advance. I keep my certificate current but don't ever use it so I'm a bit rusty with the 8710.

Passing the MEI resets your currency so you have 2 years from the date you received your MEI. On the 8710 check flight instructor plus single engine land, instrument, multi etc.. whatever you are qualified as a CFI requires a check. Usually when the feds review the 8710 they will tell you if you miss something.

...... On the 8710 check flight instructor plus single engine land, instrument, multi etc.. whatever you are qualified as a CFI requires a check. Usually when the feds review the 8710 they will tell you if you miss something.

Not correct. On an 8710 Airman Application you check only the boxes that you are APPLYING for. You already have the CFI with Single and Multi engine all you are applying for is the - - - RE-NEWAL - - -. But don't believe me, read the guidance:

8900.1 CHG 0 9/13/2007

Volume 5 airman certification

Chapter 2 Title 14 CFR PART 61 CERTIFICATION OF PILOTS AND FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS

Section 11 Conduct a Title 14 CFR Part 61 Flight Instructor Initial/Reinstatement/Renewal Certification and Additional Category/Class Ratings

5-510 PROCEDURES.

Review Application.

In Section I of FAA Form 8710‑1, ensure that the applicant has checked “Flight Instructor¾Initial.” If the applicant is renewing a flight instructor certificate, ensure that “Renewal” is checked. If the applicant is having a flight instructor certificate reinstated, “Reinstatement” must be checked.

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=A6018EF51590B0008525734F0076665F

Notice it does not say to check all your certificates, just RENEWAL. This is confusing and you will find little guidance on how to fill out this area of the application. In the 8710 application instructions it just says:

I. APPLICATION INFORMATION. Check appropriate blocks(s).

Having sent in hundreds of renewal applications I can say no one I ever sent in lost any certificate they had by just checking the - Flight Instructor box - and the - Renewal box. But if you still need conformation, call the regrestry in OKC.

Airmen Certification Information and Assistance
Toll Free Long Distance (866) 878-2498
Local Oklahoma City Area (405) 954-3261

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back