• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

80/87 in an R22 Beta II?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The engine and airframe would both need to be approved under and STC. The only places that I know of that have auto fuel STC's are the EAA and Peterson. If there is an STC I would very careful of the "new" auto fuel on the market. A lot of it contains alcohol which is forbidden by any autofuel STC. You may need to use those autorotation skills for real. Also if you use auto fuel without an STC, or the fuel you use does no meet the STC the insurance company will not cover you. But first check with Peterson and the EAA as they sell the auto fuel STC for many aircraft.

80/87 isn't auto fuel, and isn't readily available.

Howie Fuller in Wells, NV, held STC's for the Robinson R-22 for mogas. You might try emailing him at [email protected].

The link to order the STC for the R-22 beta is: http://www.solatecllc.com/order-STC.htm

Those are Peterson STC's, available through solatec.

STC or no, I've never been a proponent of auto fuel in aircraft. I strongly recommend that you stick with avgas and leave auto fuel aside.

STC or no, I've never been a proponent of auto fuel in aircraft. I strongly recommend that you stick with avgas and leave auto fuel aside.[/quote]

Well said Avbug.

STC or no, I've never been a proponent of auto fuel in aircraft. I strongly recommend that you stick with avgas and leave auto fuel aside.

I agree with Avbug. Leave the Mogas for the Cubs. If you can't afford to run 100LL, then you probably can't afford to run a R-22.

Nu

I'm not a big fan of mogas in cubs, either. There's no uniform mogas fuel standard, no uniform octane rating (varies with multiple methods in use), no uniform standard for additives, the fuel doens't keep as long, it tends to leave deposits in the fuel system, doesn't contain the aeromatic properties that preserve fuel cells and components, stinks, has a higher vapor pressure and is more prone to vapor lock, and over time with storage can cause all kinds of problems.

And there is no lead in mogas either

Exactly. Tetraethyl lead is extremely effective as an octane booster and is only required VERY small concentrations in gasoline to be effective.

The reason that it's in Avgas is that there is STILL no effective replacement for it. Everything else either trashes the fuel quality or specific energy, absorbs lots of water (that's bad) or is just as toxic and/or hard to handle as TEL.

Nu

Maintenance shops love tight-wad people that save a buck with Mogas. It means big $$$$$$ for MX shops, between fixing the entire fuel system to cylinder replacements, early overhauls, and more.

Latest resources

Back