8-12" forcast at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skyrider

I'm not familiar with the ops at MDW but the wife and I are suppose to be flying in tomorrow on WN for a holiday visit and the weather looks to be pretty crappy.

Does MDW do a good job keeping the ops going during major snowstorms or should we figure out some sort of alternate plan.

Tks in advance.

MDW does a great job with keeping a runway open. If the wind and vis give us an approach, we'll do our best. I will guarantee you one thing, it'll be better than O'hare.
If you have a SWA buddy, he/she can check our company flight ops page to see expected delays and conditions.

If the wind and vis give us an approach,

Lowest approach we have is 4000 rvr and only 5000 rvr for one of the runways. plus the ORD traffic is a problem if winds favor 13C.

Generally they do a good job, especially if it is only snow. If it turns into some kind of sleet/freezing rain mix, all bets are off. All the deicing and redoing the runway really backs things up compared to a straight snow event.

I'm not sure what other plans you could make, as ORD likely will be as affected, if not more (so much more concrete to keep clear versus our little 1 square mile piece of heaven on the south side).

I suspect there will be delays, but lets hope the airport stays open (unlike LAS).

skyrider,

if you have a certain flight let me know.... as of tonight... the guy sitting beside me just whacked the terminators. I'm working tommorrow mid day if you let me know when youre due in. It's not really the conditions that hose us, it's the mins when the wind swings away from 31c.

skyrider,

if you have a certain flight let me know.... as of tonight... the guy sitting beside me just whacked the terminators. I'm working tommorrow mid day if you let me know when youre due in. It's not really the conditions that hose us, it's the mins when the wind swings away from 31c.

That's a nice gesture.
Looks like Arrivals comming in after 10:30pm are cancelled and the last departure is 10pm.

KMDW 181735Z 1818/1918 VRB03KT P6SM SCT200
FM182100 12008KT P6SM SCT035 OVC070
TEMPO 1903/1905 3SM -SN BKN030 OVC050
FM190500 10013KT 1SM -SN BKN007 OVC015
TEMPO 1907/1909 1/2SM SN OVC006
FM190900 08014G24KT 1/2SM SN OVC006
FM191600 03012G22KT 4SM -SN OVC007

Last edited:
ehh, no problem...

forecast does look grim, but who knows, they chamge so much. I stare at them for 8 hours a day. A forecast is merely a hororscope with numbers.

ehh, no problem...

forecast does look grim, but who knows, they chamge so much. I stare at them for 8 hours a day. A forecast is merely a hororscope with numbers.

.....whataburger... I was wondering how you knew that..... then it occured to me the asst. dxer put all that stuff into swalife.... lol.....

Latest resources

Back