• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyBoeingJets

YES, that's NICE
I took notes when the General and Lowecur posted predictions around December:

General--said the big pilot retirements were largely over. I think this one is looking like it will be overcome by current events. Good for furloughees though.

Lowecur--SWA stock will go into the single digits. And the famous, "look for the order" for EMB 190s. Both may come to fruition, still not sure. I'm betting against the stock in the single digits prediction.

My prediction, SWA will go international and may go big.

Boeing Plans To Cut 7E7 Final Assembly Time To 3 Days
Wednesday March 17, 5:38 pm ET
By Elizabeth Souder, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Boeing Co. (NYSE:BA - News) plans to cut final assembly for the new 7E7 airplane model to three days, said Alan Mulally, head of the company's commercial aircraft unit.
ADVERTISEMENT

Final assembly of other Boeing models takes between 15 and 18 days.

And Boeing plans to have a single assembly line that can make as many as 28 planes each month. Mulally said other models have required three assembly lines to make that many planes.

"That means the parts have to actually go together," said Mulally during a speech at the Wing's Club.

The idea is that suppliers will build larger parts, or do some of the tasks that had previously been reserved for final assembly.

Mulally plans for the first 7E7 Dreamliner to roll off the assembly line in 2008. He said that will just about coincide with a recovery in the market for new planes.

"We think it's just about the right time as the industry comes back," he said.

Mulally said he still expects Boeing to deliver 285 planes this year, up from 281 last year. Deliveries should hold steady in 2005, as orders begin to rise, he said, boosting deliveries in 2006.

As for orders for the fuel-efficient 7E7, Mulally expects to announce the first customer this year, "sooner rather than later."

During the first half of this year, Boeing will choose engine makers for the plane, probably settling on two companies. Mulally confirmed that Boeing plans to design the 7E7 to allow an airline to switch engine makers for the same plane.

Mulally's vision for the 7E7 is a plane of the right size and with the right range to allow airlines to offer point-to-point service between any cities on earth. Boeing has identified 450 new city pairs that could be linked with the 7E7, without stopping in hubs.

"We have figured out that people go on airplanes not for the airplane experience, but to get there," he said. "They don't go to the hub airport to shop at Tie Rack."

Further, Mulally said he expects the 7E7 to alter the airline industry, allowing for low-cost carriers to become global players.

"Somebody's going to take the 7E7 and do just what Herb has done at Southwest, only do it globally," he said.

Herb Kelleher founded low-cost carrier Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE:LUV - News) in 1971.

SWA might take it, but only if they turn the "E" of 7E7 around so that the same type rating is still good for all the jets in the SWA fleet! 737-10,000 -- look for the order, baby! :D :D :D

JetBlue might just be the launch customer. With the ability to "feed" it with the EMB-190s it looks doable. But three different aircraft types?

Airtran?....Intriguing.

I'd love to see ATA flying them, but not right after a 767 purchase. Maybe the 767s are going on sale because of the 7E7. You know, like the year end close out deals before next year's models come in.

Maybe Virgin USA will buy them.

Very likely it will be NWA, AA, UAL or Delta buying the first ones. If not an EU carrier.

Last edited:
I remember hearing that Southwest was working with Boeing on some design issues on the 7E7, much like they did when they launched the production of the 737-300/500/700.

It will look like this

wwal003.jpg

Fly it like a 200.

My bet is that Mesa will put in an order for A380's by the end of the year..........The hell with the 37's, go for the gusto.......could you imagine, firsy year captains makin' $25.00 an hour.........

Hey, I am glad too about more possible retirements----that will help bring back the furloughs and get me to INTL 767 flying out of ATL....All of you ASA/Comair guys are welcome to jump over to FRA and have a beer in Mainz (I'll buy)----but get your own hotel room(you buy)---nothing kinky goin on with me......

Bye Bye--General Lee;)

Latest resources

Back