• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

787 Flight Deck Unveiled

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where's the steam gauges? I want my steam gauges!

Do you fly an aircraft or do you operate a computer?

Seriously, we do have one aircraft in our fleet that is somewhat glass and I have to admit it is very handy and certainly makes life a whole lot easier operating into high density airports at peak times. It makes for a busy day operating the ol' Classic with the mighty 9 lat/long waypoint Carousel IVA during those times.

Good Luck To Us All!

There are too many d@mn ovals; the ceiling, frame around the overhead panel, the backs of the seats, the back of the center console, yuk. It reminds me of Ford interiors throught the 90's. The Ford emblem oval was everywhere; oval radio, oval vents, oval steering wheel hub, oval instrument cluster etc. This 787 concept looks too soft. I wished they'd square things off a bit.

BornAgainPagan said:
There are too many d@mn ovals; the ceiling, frame around the overhead panel, the backs of the seats, the back of the center console, yuk. It reminds me of Ford interiors throught the 90's. The Ford emblem oval was everywhere; oval radio, oval vents, oval steering wheel hub, oval instrument cluster etc. This 787 concept looks too soft. I wished they'd square things off a bit.

I am with you, what the heck is with all the plastic touchy feely look pretty crap up front. It isn't a corporate jet, just make the back fancy and make the front an airline cockpit. Build the friggin thing like the rest of its older siblings, user friendly and tank tough.

If it is like the plastic crap in the airbus line all those fancy a$$ panels will be held on by duct tape inside two years anyhow.

Yuck, the panels and avionics look cool, but the rest of the cockpit looks like George Jetson puked all over the inside of the Starship enterprise(next generation). Probably has triple PDA docking stations and I-Pod interface capability. I'll bet the young shiny jet syndrome crowd is getting a digital hard on.

Get VERY used to this panel. If you're going to be flying for a couple of more decades, go buy the manual now!

I fully expect Boeing to incorporate this panel/windscreen into a "common" architecture in the Y1 (new 737) and Y3 (new 777) designs, much like Airbus has a more or less "common" type.

As for the digital hard on, there will be a time when you'll tell your kids you flew on steam instruments and they'll be very impressed. I'm not excited, the future will come soon enough...

Lilah

PS. I saw a 14 year old look at a P-51 the other day. He jumped out of the cockpit and was unimpressed with the "crappy old plane"....oh well.

Strange looking seats. I hope that they are more comfortable for a long haul flight than the current crop of Boeing butt-buckets. I've been totally baffled for my entire career at how ergonomically crappy transport pilot seats are, given their obvious high cost.

The seat in my Ford pickup, at maybe $200, is infinitely more comfortable (lumbar, thigh, etc) than what is probably a $6,000 737 seat.

Yeah Boeing sucks.

How DARE they try to improve their product, or make flying safer, or increase reliability.

Last edited:
The asthetics are pretty ugly. Looks like the driver compartment of a monorail. They need to throw in some steam gauges, functional or not, for good measure.

Latest resources

Back