78 year old captain flying Jenni Rivera's plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cldsfr79

I know this has more to do with Charter than Fractional, but it involves an elderly pilot. We all know just like charter, the fracs have no age limit and many "retired" pilots keep flying. Their rigorous FAA medical is their testimony to fitness. (This was a Mexican pilot following Mexican law, but we do have US pilots this age still flying professionally).

In the article, the captain was shown to be 78 years old and a company executive believes he may have had a heart attack. The FO was called a "green" pilot, who may not have known what to do once the captain was incapacitated.

This is just speculation and there has not been on autopsy yet.

I'm sure it was a catastrophic mechanical failure since the plane was over 40 years old. In no way could this accident be pinned on the old pilot. ;) I'm sure he was as sharp as he was when he was 50 and in perfect health. He wouldn't have let himself fly if he had ailments.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/12/12/jenni-rivera-wanted-to-buy-plane-died-in/

Oh...and honestly! Who better to fly a forty plus year old aircraft, than a pilot who is intimately familiar with it? Honestly....when was the last time any of us drove round gages? Just unlucky.

Such speculation about a tragic event before those folks are even buried is less than professional. There's one thing older pilots have over younger ones, besides experience. It's called class.

I flew with a 78 year old FE on the Electra. He was a sharp guy and really knew that airplane. Much more knowledgeable than his far younger counterparts.

Some day a pilot-less aircraft will crash with fatalities. People will be upset about the age of the microprocessor managing the AI software.

"The damn thing was more than 24 months old!" lawyers for the plaintiffs will claim. "It has been obsolete for more than six months, but the bastards running this airline left it in place to save a few bucks!" The Microprocessor Builders Union will be decrying the the Age 24 Month Rule and demand processors be replaced every twelve months.

The FAA will form a committee.

Oh...and honestly! Who better to fly a forty plus year old aircraft, than a pilot who is intimately familiar with it? Honestly....when was the last time any of us drove round gages? Just unlucky.

Then it would just be a matter of what fails first the pilot or the aircraft.That should make the passengers feel safe.

I flew with a 78 year old FE on the Electra. He was a sharp guy and really knew that airplane. Much more knowledgeable than his far younger counterparts.

....when he was awake, that is....

doesnt help much when you die of a heart attack or stroke out.

Latest resources

Back