• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

777 Type for Overseas Flying Question, Please Help.

Total Time
Here is a question from a friend of mine here wondering about flying overseas. He has EK mins, but wouldn't mind going somewhere else.

"I'm thinking about getting my 777 type. I've looked at Pan Am flight, Flight Training International, and Bond Aviation, and they all seem to have 'Training Centers' in the same areas like Dallas, Atlanta, etc. Do these organizations just dry lease sims from Delta, American, and just provide instructors?

Also, does anyone know what the going rate is, and if there are group discounts?

Thanks"

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

landlover

Total Time
5000+
tell him to not waste his money buying a 777 type unless he has a written letter that gaurentees employment, even then i wouldn't do it.

fareview

Total Time
10k+
Even KAL require 500 on type so the ticket alone wont do it.

No point in getting a type for EK unless you have the experience to go with it. They will happily hire those without that suit the "profile".

They know what they want.

fv

b747dogg

Total Time
Even KAL require 500 on type so the ticket alone wont do it.

No point in getting a type for EK unless you have the experience to go with it. They will happily hire those without that suit the "profile".

They know what they want.

fv

What do they want???

fareview

Total Time
10k+
What do they want???

Well, HR don't advertize the specifics for obvious reasons. But from talking to some friends who work in there...basically the same as everywhere else...a good all rounder with solid experience and in particular a great attitude.

fv

johnsonrod

Total Time
8000+
Quite a few Singapore and Jet Airways 777 pilots let go recently and now looking for jobs - some going to Qatar Airways. These people have 777 experience. I wouldn't want to compete with them for 777 jobs worldwide.

dispatchguy

Dad is my favorite title
Total Time
NIL
Get with Typhoonpilot on here, for unless I am mistaken, he is an EK pilot.

thepotato232

Tuberriffic
Total Time
>0
Well Metro, I don't know enough about your situation to speak to the wisdom of getting a type, but I can answer your original question. Pan Am at least has it's own simulator centers in parts of the country, but all type rating training companies dry-lease sims from airlines as well as from companies like Boeing Alteon and Airbus. FTI and Bond have no simulators of their own, I believe - at least I know FTI doesn't. The instructors provided in a dry lease undergo the same FAA certification as any other training center examiner, and are usually current or retired airline types.

The going rate is variable enough that it wouldn't do to state a price for you here, but there is always a discount provided if you can go through the type rating program as a crew of two pilots. Paying for the simulator time, instructor and stand-in FO for a single pilot is less efficient, and always costs more.

I've got years of experience dealing with several of these companies, so I'd be more than happy to help you out via PM.